Cork Hurlers - Part 2

And if you actually bothered to read my posts you would know I said it was a toss up between Rob and Damien for the 7 jersey and the next morning i actually changed my mind and put Damien back in.

And so what if I pick a team without Damien on it, I’ve always said when someone better comes along and takes his jersey fair enough, till then he’s a Cork player and I will support him 100%. You on the other hand are an embarrassment

You are a sad case following me around like a bad smell trying to back up your stance and knocking Damien at every possible opportunity. I’d love to see you put that notebook of yours away and say to his face what you say on here. I’m guessing you wouldn’t.

Unlike you most posters don’t try to belittle Cork players even if they think they shouldn’t be starting the next day or championship. It’s called being respectful to the players, you should try it someday

To be fair, no time for abuse of guys who're doing their best putting their bodies on the line as amateurs for Cork but I think most of us would tread carefully criticising any player face-to-face. That shouldn't mean the players are above criticism.

That said, I think there are a few players that a lot of people seem to "love to hate". Guys who for some reason or another seem to get targeted for more criticism than others, and more criticism than they deserve compared to others. And it's not confined to Cork, or ever hurling, or even GAA in general.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Cahalane mightn't have the hurling but he has more heart in his baby finger than some had in their entire body. And as long as he keeps getting picked for Cork he'll give it his all.

H
And a lovely fella to boot, as anyone who knows him will testify.

People are allowed to pick a team here, and to state a preference for certain positions. It's not hatred or abuse to do so.
And it doesn't have to end in a row either.
have you read that nutters posts? This is the guy who said hell would freeze over before he’d pick Damien on the Cork team. Like what sane person would say that

If Ger Millerick is marking you its impossible to shake him or get the better of him. If he had Sean O'Donoghue's size he would be our definitive go-to man marker, no question. Im not much of an advocate for him starting on a full strength cork team but if he put on a lot of bulk I think it would be inevitable that he would be given a starting position.
This along with his ability to recover quickly from an out field position is why I'd select him wing-back over Damien or Rob. Ger is simply more of a natural defender from wing-back than any of the other two players. Cork need that type of player in defence, he is more like Brian Murphy or Sean Og in his style of play than any other Cork defender. As I stated before I don't think he needs to put on bulk because he is a natural wiry guy but he needs to become far less injury prone, a lot of bulk training can cause injuries.

r&b

You are even correcting bluesball on your own carry on which has been a bias on your own club players and that is the real disrespect to all players, double standards by you of the highest order. Fox Leary is at the same on the Football forum.

I read your posts and state it's childish to be chopping and changing as often as you do but the fact is he wasn't on the team you selected despite insisting that I have to select him every time. I thought you might be getting sense when you didn't include him but of course that couldn't possibly be the case. You obviously didn't read my post whereby I praised Damien's 2nd half performance last Saturday night. As wing backs you compared Rob Downey to Damien but you can't see they both lack recovery for the position, when I pointed this out you can only see it as a slur on Damien.

It is you who is doing the following around, anytime Damien is mentioned by me to another poster you jump on it.

For your information I met Damien at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on a Saturday afternoon about 3 years ago and he greeted my buddy and myself and we returned the compliment, we didn't engage in the pettiness of which you refer. I know his Dad Niall nearly 40 years and spoke GAA with him on many occasions. I don't think he would be impressed that some gombeen on a website defends his son at all cost when discussing his son as a hurler, I believe he would be much too honest for that kind of rubbish.
So you admit you wouldn’t say it to his face, even when you actually had the opportunity, but it’s ok to come on here and belittle a guy that has bled Cork GAA all his life. You’re a coward

You know Niall? You love namedropping don’t you, last year it was Ger Blue. I tell ya one thing about Niall, and the whole Cahalane family for that matter, he is a gent to his bones but you wouldn’t dare say some of the things you said on here about his son to his face, or to Damien’s face as you proved. You’d be 6 feet under and you know it

You are a pathetic man to be honest, for the good of this thread I want no more to do with you but keep stirring shite and you’ll be getting more replies

Last edited:
To be fair, no time for abuse of guys who're doing their best putting their bodies on the line as amateurs for Cork but I think most of us would tread carefully criticising any player face-to-face. That shouldn't mean the players are above criticism.

That said, I think there are a few players that a lot of people seem to "love to hate". Guys who for some reason or another seem to get targeted for more criticism than others, and more criticism than they deserve compared to others. And it's not confined to Cork, or ever hurling, or even GAA in general.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Cahalane mightn't have the hurling but he has more heart in his baby finger than some had in their entire body. And as long as he keeps getting picked for Cork he'll give it his all.
Constructive criticism is always welcome, but a sustained biased attack on an individual player is above and beyond

I believe the Cahalanes in general believe that Damien has been unfairly targeted in online abuse. His family members have spoken out against this diatribe, and Damien to his credit has said it doesn’t affect him. I admire his courage and tenacity, and is a loyal servant to Cork!
Of course it affects him, he knows his family have to sit in the stands listening to gobshites verbally attacking him, but he will never let them win

Damien Cahalane has been our most consistent defender the last 18 months imo, narrowly pipping Sean O Donoghue. Well worth his place on the team at the moment. I've seen a huge improvement in him tbh.

I think a more direct style will suits him more at #7. Now, I'm not saying he's a guaranteed starter this year but fair is fair, and his form deserves some recognition.

Back to the thread title

Delighted to hear Robbie should be back in 6 to 8 weeks time, we would be lost without him. Pat Ryan has shown his hurling nous by putting him in corner foward where he can do real damage to any opposition.

I wouldn’t be getting carried away with last Saturday and I won’t be making to big a deal of next Sunday either. The league is the league and there will be plenty of ups and downs between now and the end of the league. Hopefully we can bring the same work rate next weekend and that the younger guys keep developing. We are on the right track

H

have you read that nutters posts? This is the guy who said hell would freeze over before he’d pick Damien on the Cork team. Like what sane person would say that
What kind of a nutter tells everyone he has to be on the team because he is 'Barrs and then names the team without him and gets his knickers in a twist with anyone else who doesn't name him to start? Sad!

Damien Cahalane has been our most consistent defender the last 18 months imo, narrowly pipping Sean O Donoghue. Well worth his place on the team at the moment. I've seen a huge improvement in him tbh.

I think a more direct style will suits him more at #7. Now, I'm not saying he's a guaranteed starter this year but fair is fair, and his form deserves some recognition.
I think Ciaran Joyce would have a lot to say about that claim 😉

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼