Cork Minor Hurling 2023

“ You use the word 'exceptional' but it's debatable whether there are 3 within the panel not to mind outside same but it is the attention to detail that often makes the difference and this can come down to leaving out one player or including the wrong player” I agree and that’s exactly my point too. Only a few stand out players that would be automatic selections and after that it’s very difficult at underage. Better people than me pick Cork dev squad management & the likes of Dónal Og got a run. From what I hear Meyler is putting in a huge effort. As for promotion/demotion concept , that is a well documented dangerous and risky road as “ a win at all costs” underage manager may not be best for longer term..

JimmyBarrySmurph

Why do you state 'better people' than you or anyone for that matter pick the development squad management. They are mostly picked on political agendas or because they are former inter-county players. It is easy to pick the 'exceptional' players but there are too many players who can make the difference left out by Cork management down through the years.

I would never doubt John Meylers 'effort' but don't you think there's more than 'effort' required if one is in charge of all the U-15 or U-16 potential inter-county players in a county? Meyler managed the U-16's to the AI Arrabawn title and soon later he was the Cork senior hurling manager. This wouldn't happen in a proper 'promotion and demotion' set-up. The County Board could easily implement it at all ages where the managers/selectors who do well with one age group are promoted to the next age level. It doesn't have to be a 'win at all cost' scenario and it's never long term only 2/3 years.

JimmyBarrySmurph

Why do you state 'better people' than you or anyone for that matter pick the development squad management. They are mostly picked on political agendas or because they are former inter-county players. It is easy to pick the 'exceptional' players but there are too many players who can make the difference left out by Cork management down through the years.

I would never doubt John Meylers 'effort' but don't you think there's more than 'effort' required if one is in charge of all the U-15 or U-16 potential inter-county players in a county? Meyler managed the U-16's to the AI Arrabawn title and soon later he was the Cork senior hurling manager. This wouldn't happen in a proper 'promotion and demotion' set-up. The County Board could easily implement it at all ages where the managers/selectors who do well with one age group are promoted to the next age level. It doesn't have to be a 'win at all cost' scenario and it's never long term only 2/3 years.
Better people than me = those that run the show.. generally they are there for good reason and elected by the clubs. The county board does seem like a transparent and democratic organisation now.

The top job should go to the best candidate at the time and not based on an underage conveyor belt system.. If it did Ring would certainly have managed the senior hurlers a few years ago.. is that positive?

I do think potential Cork senior manager and selectors should contribute to underage first (if they haven’t already gone to the top in the senior club scene). That’s generally the case. I’m struggling to think of a Cork manager who hasn’t done so.. can you name a few?

Can you name these too many players left out by cork management that could make the difference? I don’t understand the point you are making.
Don’t the top players play senior inter county anyway whether theyve played underage or not with Cork.

JimmyBarrySMurph

Those who you refer are put forward by the clubs but elected by the board.

We didn't see transparency in the building of the new stadium, okay more down to the old brigade rather than KO'D and his officers I'd imagine.

You have it wrong or are mis-understaing what I stated regarding Denis Ring, he was re-appointed as minor manager time and time again from 2001 and then he was given the U-20 manager job. Under the set-up I suggested he wouldn't be there since the noughties. Likewise John Meyler would not be senior manager from U-16 manager.

Agree with managers starting at underage first but then they should be promoted through the age levels when they have done well and after good receptive vibes from that particular training camp. This is not the case with last years U-15's, who are this years U-16's with Meyler in charge of the whole set-up.

I already mentioned in other posts players such as Cathal Hickey and Brian Moylan (both Glen Rovers) never getting a chance with Cork.

The way Stephen Lynam and Ben Heffernan (also both Glen Rovers) were treated by last year's minor management and only 1 from the Douglas Minor winning side making the Cork panel including extended panel, James O'Callaghan-Maher being left out comes to mind here at the very least.

Someone over in the football forum referred to managements putting players on the scrap heap if they haven't performed to the managements satisfaction early in their career, this has also happened in Cork hurling with players such as Stephen Moylan (Douglas), Stephen Murphy (Blackrock) and Aidan Ryan (Midleton) all in this category down to poor judgement. Cork have paid the price hugely for all this carry on not having won an AI senior title in 18 years and likely to be counting again after this year.

Rebel og has put forward a proposal that a u18 league will be played and a u17 championship this Will put for the clubs to vote at next Tuesday

That's just stupid. Clubs will just play their U17 team in the U18 league. Why would you use fellas in the league that you can't in the championship. Bizarre proposal.
My main concern is for u16s who would be playing and starting for the u17 team who then wouldn’t be able to play u18 league

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Csm Pop Degree Showcase

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼