Cork Hurlers - Part 2

This is the mistake Cork selectors are making repeatedly over the years. They are going with guys who were succesful in some area of underage but forgetting the time gap before they make inter-county mainly because of the S&C process they are being put through. A guy of 26 or 27 standing out for his club wouldn't have to go through the same process and mostly they get overlooked.
I think the idea that there are players undiscovered or unused by Cork hurling selectors is incorrect. I think in general the best players are selected and in particular the players best suited to the step up in standard.
We saw four players brought into the squad two years ago and none really made the step up. Cork selectors and management probably go to more games than anybody and are more acutely aware of what is needed than anyone as they work with elite hurlers all the time.
Personally, I think any player that has not made inter county by 26 is probably not going to make.... there will be exceptions but I would guess they are few throughout hurling in every county.

I don't know for certain but I would expect that a lot of the better club hurlers will have been included for Cork at times to see how they perform without actually becoming part of the squad and most will probably have played against Cork teams in trials and challenge games.

A midfield of Tim and Ethan would be effective and exciting. Eoin Downey should be on the team. He could grow into a good FB like Huw Lawlor.

In relation to tom Hanley. Yes he was involved with munster. He was a v good club forward but I think ballyhea put him back in backs and has been unreal since. Real athlete too. I think pat asked him in but is gone to dubai working but should be back soon.

He may be drafted in. From games I have seen he is as good as what we have in half backine . Obviously inter County is different but prob worth a shot.

A midfield of Tim and Ethan would be effective and exciting. Eoin Downey should be on the team. He could grow into a good FB like Huw Lawlor.
Ethan Twomey, Darragh O Leary,Brian Roche,Shane Barrett, Sean Hayes,Sean Twomey, Padraig Power,Tommy O Connell ,Cormac O Brien, Daire Connery, Brian O Sullivan spring to mind as young players pushing hard this year.

I wonder if it is a year too early for Eoin Downey and Ben Cunningham.. but maybe not.

Ethan Twomey, Darragh O Leary,Brian Roche,Shane Barrett, Sean Hayes,Sean Twomey, Padraig Power,Tommy O Connell ,Cormac O Brien, Daire Connery, Brian O Sullivan spring to mind as young players pushing hard this year.

I wonder if it is a year too early for Eoin Downey and Ben Cunningham.. but maybe not.
Might be a year or two or three too early for Cork. We are considered as underdogs for all Ireland this year, behind Limerick, Galway, KK, and Clare. I don’t see a whole lot new this year, the best prospect we had has gone playing rugby. Hoggy, Harnedy, Lehane etc are past their best!What’s another year?..,,,,

Who am I to right off any young fella but there’s a few on your list there who I don’t think have the physical presence to cut it at onter county

Daire O Leary, Ethan Twomey, Sean Twomey and Eoin Downey must be given plenty of game time in the league, they could be 4 big players for us this year. Hopefully Shane Barrett can recover from last years shit show by management and show his true value.

Ben Cunningham and Brian Hayes showed their talent in the big club games this year and must be given plenty of game time too

Throw in Deccie Dalton and Mark Keane and we have a lot of guys ready to stake a claim which will be just what Pat Ryan will be hoping for

That’s a “dreamer” statement. The guy hasn’t played inter county full back yet, and being compared to Lawlor. We’re entering into this season with nothing more than hope or trepidation. It’s difficult to know if we’re in the throes of team building, whilst our best players Horgan, Harnedy and Lehane are winding up. We’ll be lucky to get out of Munster this year.

Lawler was a half back with no experience of FB until Cody moved him there. Initially he struggled but Cody persevered probably because he had pace, reach and skill. Eoin D has the same attributes. Nobody has played adequately at FB for years. Maybe it’s time to dream.

Lawler was a half back with no experience of FB until Cody moved him there. Initially he struggled but Cody persevered probably because he had pace, reach and skill. Eoin D has the same attributes. Nobody has played adequately at FB for years. Maybe it’s time to dream.
I think we’ve been guilty of dreaming for 20 years. It’s time to realize that to win an all Ireland in hurling or football, a lot of hard work, and dedication are required. I don’t see that from either code in Cork .It’s disappointing that our iconic player Pat Horgan is destined to finish his career without an All Ireland. We’re destined for another underperforming season!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼