Cork Footballers

rebel boy

Good post!

Three defenders out of O'Donovan, Shanley, O'Mahony and Meehan should improve the defence significantly. If Sean Powter is also selected in defence all four won't start as Kevin O'Donovan, Rory Maguire, John Cooper, Mattie Taylor, Kevin Flahive and Nathan Walsh will also be in the shout for a starting place. I believe with those defenders free of injuries an improved rearguard should allow the management to release Sean Powter to a more attacking role like centre-forward. I believe Cork are lacking in this department, there are enough good inside forwards but the attack needs a strong linchpin to lead the attack.
If what is said here is to be true, John Cooper gone travelling will be ruled out unfortunately as he showed promise as last year progressed, unlikely Flahive will be recovered in time to play in the league with his cruciate injury v Kerry last season. You also have Shane Merritt, Tommy Walsh & Paul Ring (All playing Sigerson this year which should further help their development) also to compete with the aforementioned above, solid base to work with if all fit.

Good point regarding Powter. We have struggled really in the half forward line to mix that hardworking wing forward role with confident kickers to transition quicker. John O' Rourke & Dan Dineen can play with the best of them & neither shirks work but just struggle physically in that position. McSweeney is a beautiful kicker maybe an option, has done well at #11 too when asked. Would like to see Hayes at 10/12 for a few games, serious option on restarts, very athletic and well able to take a score. Colm O' Callaghan without doubt better facing the goal than a forward, would still have Killian O' Hanlon in midfield just based on the form he had v Kerry a few years back if he's still at that level.

Training panel in place, no idea who and who is not in it. Would imagine some chopping and changing since Cleary took full reins.

If what is said here is to be true, John Cooper gone travelling will be ruled out unfortunately as he showed promise as last year progressed, unlikely Flahive will be recovered in time to play in the league with his cruciate injury v Kerry last season. You also have Shane Merritt, Tommy Walsh & Paul Ring (All playing Sigerson this year which should further help their development) also to compete with the aforementioned above, solid base to work with if all fit.

Good point regarding Powter. We have struggled really in the half forward line to mix that hardworking wing forward role with confident kickers to transition quicker. John O' Rourke & Dan Dineen can play with the best of them & neither shirks work but just struggle physically in that position. McSweeney is a beautiful kicker maybe an option, has done well at #11 too when asked. Would like to see Hayes at 10/12 for a few games, serious option on restarts, very athletic and well able to take a score. Colm O' Callaghan without doubt better facing the goal than a forward, would still have Killian O' Hanlon in midfield just based on the form he had v Kerry a few years back if he's still at that level.

Training panel in place, no idea who and who is not in it. Would imagine some chopping and changing since Cleary took full reins.
Brian O Driscoll will be in the Half Back line.

rebel boy

I understand John Cooper will be available after Christmas, whether he's selected then for the panel is the issue.

Kevin Flahive shouldn't be available until later in the league alright.

Paul Ring has been involved long enough to develop and hasn't, imho his ship has sailed but I hope I'm wrong. Shane Merritt way off it, too lightweight and Tommy Walsh should get game time but I'd rather see him start with the U-20's first in his last year at that level.

Dagame

You seem to forget most of us have seen Brian O'Driscoll play senior inter-county before and then he lacked the right attitude and was without discipline big time. He is now a good few years older and hopefully matured but should be slower or less sharp for this level.

rebel boy

I understand John Cooper will be available after Christmas, whether he's selected then for the panel is the issue.

Paul Ring has been involved long enough to develop and hasn't, imho his ship has sailed but I hope I'm wrong. Shane Merritt way off it, too lightweight and Tommy Walsh should get game time but I'd rather see him start with the U-20's first in his last year at that level.

Dagame

You seem to forget most of us have seen Brian O'Driscoll play senior inter-county before and then he lacked the right attitude and was without discipline big time. He is now a good few years older and hopefully matured but should be slower or less sharp for this level.
Shane Merritt too lightweight?

rebel boy

Dagame

Shane Merritt is in fantastic shape

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼