Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Interesting that no one references the Galway game re SOD (or the limerick final before that or the Kk knock out game before that) but happy to plough into Coleman. I’m a big fan of both players but it is funny how the forum views certain players as defensive liabilities and not others.

I can see Pat Ryan’s logic re Sean and he has always improved every year but he has always played himself out of all star consideration every year also with some batshit crazy piece of play in the game that cork gets knocked out in. After the Kk game a couple of years ago I wondered would we see him move to midfield and I still wonder that… he has a kink on a high ball and it tends to cost us in a big game each year. He is a nailed on starter for loads of other reasons but I think he’s the steel we’re missing in the middle of the field.

We’ve still a few gaps at the back as I would also see Tim and Coleman moving out of there… Ryan Walsh was the first name I was taking out of the senior championship this summer and in fairness he should have been involved last year. Eoin Downey for sure. Less sure about the likes of James o’flynn but sure he’s worth another look i guess. Would be brilliant to find a mikey butler type as well as the bigger lads.

Who are genuine starter options in the championship back 6 to make us stronger than last year?

It is amazing that we dont have an out and out full back in the county. I think Martin O Doherty was the last full back we had on an All Ireland winning team who was an out and out full back. Diarmuid O Sullivan played there but was not full back for Cloyne as far as I can recall. Denis Walsh, Denis Mulcahy , Donal O Grady all were reluctant visitors. Was Jamie Burns the number 1 number 3 in the Club Championship this year? Is it that the better club players as they get older gravitate back there and you never actually get an out and out vocation?

It is amazing that we dont have an out and out full back in the county. I think Martin O Doherty was the last full back we had on an All Ireland winning team who was an out and out full back. Diarmuid O Sullivan played there but was not full back for Cloyne as far as I can recall. Denis Walsh, Denis Mulcahy , Donal O Grady all were reluctant visitors. Was Jamie Burns the number 1 number 3 in the Club Championship this year? Is it that the better club players as they get older gravitate back there and you never actually get an out and out vocation?
Just simply that at club level intercounty players are often used in the middle 8 as you don’t want to waste your best in a line that might not be seeing a lot of action. Similar all over the country.

Cloyne had a very good club full back at that time who wasnt far off intercounty standard. Maybe lacked a small bit of pace. His name escapes me at the moment.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼