Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Jesus the respect being shown to Antrim here is a bit too much. We can bate Waterford and Tipp but lads are expecting Antrim to put up the likes of 2-19 against us.
They're a decent side obviously, but having watched them twice now I'd say McManus aside I couldn't pick a player who'd get into our match day 26. Cork by double scores.

Correct, I actually cannot believe this needs to be said but apparently a championship match in the middle of summer is a time for ‘giving lads a game’……..cork need to select their best team and apply the same mentality they had over the last couple of matches and go for the jugular from the start.
The more this team plays together the better, play well and win vs Antrim and then head into the Galway team with confidence like a serious team
Last I checked the guys people are talking about getting a game we’re either intricate members of a team that made an All Ireland Final last year or guys playing big roles prior to injury this year. A valid case can be made that the team could be improved by their emergence.

Correct, I actually cannot believe this needs to be said but apparently a championship match in the middle of summer is a time for ‘giving lads a game’……..cork need to select their best team and apply the same mentality they had over the last couple of matches and go for the jugular from the start.
The more this team plays together the better, play well and win vs Antrim and then head into the Galway team with confidence like a serious team
I get the going with same team argument but Hoggy isnt going well and this is the idea game to drop him and throw in JOC in FF line of him, Connolly and TOM.

I get the going with same team argument but Hoggy isnt going well and this is the idea game to drop him and throw in JOC in FF line of him, Connolly and TOM.
I don’t mean the same team I mean the best team available ……case to be argued over hoggy for sure for example.
Antrim are poor and out of their depth at this level and they are not fit as evidenced by a few of them.
Start your best team available and beat them off the pitch and get a good look at your team for the Galway game the week after.
Use the weekend as a pre championship training weekend

I'd fancy Antrim to score about 2-19 against us but I reckon we'll score in the region of 3-26.

What Laois did in the last normal season has no bearing on the game in Corrigan Park Saturday, save for being a cautionary tale, or a bogey man tale, whatever way you want to take it.

You would expect that nobody involved will be taking Antrim for granted but would also expect that the Antrim defence won't be able to hold Cork like only the Limerick defence have.
If Antrim score 2-19 we have serious problems

The last thing you need going in there is a soft mentality
You start giving lads a game and next thing you know the team is in a bad mental place and Antrim are making a dog fight of it
Pick the championship team for a championship match
I don't think any of those changes weaken our team in any way. Mellerick is a fine defender and probably one of our best man-markers. And both Tim and Jack are pushing hard for a starting place already with their impacts off the bench.

I'd let Hoggy and Harnedy on the bench for this one and bring them on in the second half if needs be, rather than asking them to play two full games in a 7-day span.

I don't think any of those changes weaken our team in any way. Mellerick is a fine defender and probably one of our best man-markers. And both Tim and Jack are pushing hard for a starting place already with their impacts off the bench.

I'd let Hoggy and Harnedy on the bench for this one and bring them on in the second half if needs be, rather than asking them to play two full games in a 7-day span.
Exactly. You can rest some guys who we need in great shape for the following week and bring in very strong players in their stead. It makes a ton of sense.

There will be minimal changes if any, there is no way any team would go up there expecting an easy victory, it may happen but the best way to ensure it does is finish the game early.

Barring injuries the only change I’d be making is Tim in for Hoggy or Kingston, he brings so much workrate and aggression I’d have Tim in there ahead of all 6 fowards but only one needs to step aside and in the scheme of things it’s a big call who loses out.

Obviously we don’t know what’s going on in training but I can’t see what Jack has done to warrant a start. He was completely out of his depth v Clare and the subsequent cameo roles he played doesn’t merit a starting place. Ger Millerick the same and on top of that our 6 backs are starting to look like a unit at long last. But hopefully by half time we may be able to see 2 or 3 lads come on with a few more following them with 15/20 minutes to go. That will mean we are in a good place.

I am looking foward to the trip and seeing Antrim supporters at home, they are a passionate bunch and love their hurling but they have had very little real success over the years, 1989 will always be remembered though.

Exciting times right now for Cork hurling

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼