Minor Hurling 2022

Possibly and I hope not but this week is a rude awakening imo, the exact same problems across all 3 teams - puck outs, winning rucks, tackling etc
Perhaps not and maybe this is just a blip, but outside of last year, this year is exactly the same as the decade that preceded it
This is the scary thing, is there a directive coming from someone tells all teams to be coached to play the same way? I wouldn't have an issue with that if the system worked but clearly it doesn't.. Maybe that would explain why Ryan and Sherlock got out of dodge.

Why is Cusack being mentioned when talking about last night defeat was he involved with the team ?
As fir Murray while i dislike his training method he cannot be blamed foe last night it was the 20+ wides that beat us.
Saying that Murray as previously said should never again be left near a Cork team of any sorts.

Why is Cusack being mentioned when talking about last night defeat was he involved with the team ?
As fir Murray while i dislike his training method he cannot be blamed foe last night it was the 20+ wides that beat us.
Saying that Murray as previously said should never again be left near a Cork team of any sorts.
It seems to be the default after every defeat. Blame the management. And someone not even connected with the team is being blamed now. Fair enough in some cases the blame does lie with management, the point you made about re the wides is a major factor.

I'm not 100% on that, he may be arrogant and comes across like he thinks his shite is chocolate but he knows what it takes to win. He left camoige because of physicality being removed from the game and the reffing of the same.

This is the scary thing, is there a directive coming from someone tells all teams to be coached to play the same way? I wouldn't have an issue with that if the system worked but clearly it doesn't.. Maybe that would explain why Ryan and Sherlock got out of dodge.
There’s no directive, and I don’t think the minors and u20s are consciously copying the Senior style either.

The under 20s mixed their style up but we just didn’t have enough ball winners in the foward line. We also have to remember they were playing without Ciaran Joyce and a match fit Daire O Leary, 2 of our key players from 2021. However the management wasn’t up to scratch and didn’t demand the workrate demanded by Pat Ryan’s management, who were also short 2 of their better players yet got the success.

The minors have to be taken in isolation because each year is practically a whole new team and under our system now a whole new management. However, again, management did not cover themselves in glory either but when you appoint Paudie Murray you have to expect us to play that style.

The problem to me, and this is where a direct comparison with the seniors can be made, is appointing managers to our inter county teams. Get the right man in and watch things improve dramatically, appoint someone stuck to the short game and watch things disimprove dramatically.

Our next appointments at Senior and Under 20 and right down to U14 have to be made on the back of what style and attitude will this person bring, if they are going to continue this tippy tappy crap then thank them for their interest but don’t appoint them. This is nothing new, I said the exact same when Meyler stepped down but somehow we are not grasping the concept.

There’s no directive, and I don’t think the minors and u20s are consciously copying the Senior style either.

The under 20s mixed their style up but we just didn’t have enough ball winners in the foward line. We also have to remember they were playing without Ciaran Joyce and a match fit Daire O Leary, 2 of our key players from 2021. However the management wasn’t up to scratch and didn’t demand the workrate demanded by Pat Ryan’s management, who were also short 2 of their better players yet got the success.

The minors have to be taken in isolation because each year is practically a whole new team and under our system now a whole new management. However, again, management did not cover themselves in glory either but when you appoint Paudie Murray you have to expect us to play that style.

The problem to me, and this is where a direct comparison with the seniors can be made, is appointing managers to our inter county teams. Get the right man in and watch things improve dramatically, appoint someone stuck to the short game and watch things disimprove dramatically.

Our next appointments at Senior and Under 20 and right down to U14 have to be made on the back of what style and attitude will this person bring, if they are going to continue this tippy tappy crap then thank them for their interest but don’t appoint them. This is nothing new, I said the exact same when Meyler stepped down but somehow we are not grasping the concept.
The minor appointment is done already

Well it didn't work very well for waterford in Thurles last night beating by 21 points. In the end of the day younglads at this age group are 16/17 all the plans go out the window if the things array, they need to enjoy themselves let the ball in fast thats the cork way. Everybody thinking they have to copy the Limerick brand, you play ro your strengths. It just so happens Limerick have a phenomenal crop of hurlers to go along with there physical size they will dominate for period and end like all great teams the mantle will be passed on to another team. My point im getting at play to your strengths and tweak it but still have your core values. Get back to the fast ball in that what it comes down too.
It didn’t work for Limerick either at minor level but I think they (Limerick) have a preference for a certain type of player that they’re trying to produce in positions and that results aren’t overly important to them at minor level. None of their current senior team have All Ireland minor medals. Mark Landers made an interesting point on what the Limerick footballers were doing under Billy Lee on the Irish Examiner’s podcast. Lee apparently talked about how he wanted Limerick to have as many big players as possible as a starting point a few years ago, when they were in division 4. I wouldn’t be surprised if Limerick hurling has a similar mindset. The Limerick minor half-back line and half-forward lines had some giants, similar in mould to Hegarty and Hayes. Some of those giants on the Limerick minor team that lost to Cork weren’t the most skilful or quickest, but Limerick will back their coaching to improve their skills. You can improve a young player’s skills and fitness, but you can’t make them grow four or five inches taller. I’m not advocating for an entire team being picked purely on their size, but Cork is a big enough county to have 2 or 3 decent hurlers with size and ball-winning ability in every minor/u20 panel. I don’t think we had a single player over 6-foot yesterday. We were reluctant to let the ball in because we didn’t have the forwards to win the 50-50 ball.

It didn’t work for Limerick either at minor level but I think they (Limerick) have a preference for a certain type of player that they’re trying to produce in positions and that results aren’t overly important to them at minor level. None of their current senior team have All Ireland minor medals. Mark Landers made an interesting point on what the Limerick footballers were doing under Billy Lee on the Irish Examiner’s podcast. Lee apparently talked about how he wanted Limerick to have as many big players as possible as a starting point a few years ago, when they were in division 4. I wouldn’t be surprised if Limerick hurling has a similar mindset. The Limerick minor half-back line and half-forward lines had some giants, similar in mould to Hegarty and Hayes. Some of those giants on the Limerick minor team that lost to Cork weren’t the most skilful or quickest, but Limerick will back their coaching to improve their skills. You can improve a young player’s skills and fitness, but you can’t make them grow four or five inches taller. I’m not advocating for an entire team being picked purely on their size, but Cork is a big enough county to have 2 or 3 decent hurlers with size and ball-winning ability in every minor/u20 panel. I don’t think we had a single player over 6-foot yesterday. We were reluctant to let the ball in because we didn’t have the forwards to win the 50-50 ball.
Spot on

Stop ffs it’s pathetic. Ye have a man driving the bus going about his business quietly and effectively he has two good managers at senior level appointed, certainly
Colm Collins has great time for him, schools are flying and underage is picking up, he didn’t highlight nonsense on social media or go to the Clare champion with outrageous headlines, he just did his job and Clare are going well because of it
All you are demonstrating here is that you really don't know anything about what's going on in Clare.

The county executive held interviews for the clare job on a Sunday evening with lohan and mulqueen

They told lohan on Monday morning he was not getting the job

The clubs were called to a meeting for that Wednesday I think it was

The clubs then forced the county board to re open the process

After that Louis Mulqueen withdrew leaving only one candidate.

Despite that executives rang people to ask them to apply for it.

That's what happened

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Aideen McQueen and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

29th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼