Rename the Pana to “Terence McSwiney Street ”.

To avoid big expense for residents / business owners having their street being renamed lease maps etc we should name the next housing estate in Douglas after one of the 1916 mob ?

We have the Jack Lynch Tunnel the Michael Collins Bridge, the Eamon DeValera Bridge, Terence McSwiney Quay, MacCurtain Street, Liam Lynch Road, Roger Casement Park, Liam Healy Road, Thomas Davis Bridge, Emmet Place, Parnell Place, Brian Boru Bridge, Pearse Road, Mary Elmes Bridge, Victoria Cross, Cook Street, Alexandra Road, Albert Road, and many many others.

I think we should start calling places after geographical features and stuff from now on

Obviously Dermot Kiely and his "famine queen" headbangers have their own thread on here regarding placenames and the like, but I thought it amusing that Cork City Council displayed a digital roadworks sign at the end of the Carrigrohane Straight at Victoria Cross warning of delays ahead due to roadworks on "Wellington Bridge."

This was last year.

It is still colloquially known as Wellington Bridge - that's what my family and countless others refer to it as well despite it's official name change. Ditto the North Gate Bridge

And I think Cook Street was renamed after one of the Seven Signatories but the name never took. Although Cork GAA for many years afterwards used the name on their correspondence from the offices there.

That's why I think trying to rename Pana, a Cork institution, just wouldn't catch on.
Less well known streets or those with lesser known names could - I mean who on earth is Anglesea Street named after - or is it named after the "Welsh" island?

We have the Jack Lynch Tunnel the Michael Collins Bridge, the Eamon DeValera Bridge, Terence McSwiney Quay, MacCurtain Street, Liam Lynch Road, Roger Casement Park, Liam Healy Road, Thomas Davis Bridge, Emmet Place, Parnell Place, Brian Boru Bridge, Pearse Road, Mary Elmes Bridge, Victoria Cross, Cook Street, Alexandra Road, Albert Road, and many many others.

I think we should start calling places after geographical features and stuff from now on

You left out Mick Barry road, how could you

:)

Obviously Dermot Kiely and his "famine queen" headbangers have their own thread on here regarding placenames and the like, but I thought it amusing that Cork City Council displayed a digital roadworks sign at the end of the Carrigrohane Straight at Victoria Cross warning of delays ahead due to roadworks on "Wellington Bridge."

This was last year.

Dermot and his 2 supporters have gone very quiet in the past few months.

It is still colloquially known as Wellington Bridge - that's what my family and countless others refer to it as well despite it's official name change. Ditto the North Gate Bridge

And I think Cook Street was renamed after one of the Seven Signatories but the name never took. Although Cork GAA for many years afterwards used the name on their correspondence from the offices there.

That's why I think trying to rename Pana, a Cork institution, just wouldn't catch on.
Less well known streets or those with lesser known names could - I mean who on earth is Anglesea Street named after - or is it named after the "Welsh" island?

I think that's Anglesey, but not sure if Anglesea is the same

Street name translations in Cork can be strange, take Coburg Street, or in Irish Sráid Uí h-Uigín, what's that all about like?

I think that's Anglesey, but not sure if Anglesea is the same

Fair enough, but no matter the spelling, who or what is it named after?

I mean they successfully renamed Nile Street and King Street for Irish Patriots, so some name changes do catch on. Not sure if the Anglesey family, if there even is one, would be too perturbed if there was a name change.

Fair enough, but no matter the spelling, who or what is it named after?

I mean they successfully renamed Nile Street and King Street for Irish Patriots, so some name changes do catch on. Not sure if the Anglesey family, if there even is one, would be too perturbed if there was a name change.

What would you propose it be changed to?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Cooper Clarke
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Local Groove Records

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼