Rename the Pana to “Terence McSwiney Street ”.

Fair enough, but no matter the spelling, who or what is it named after?

I mean they successfully renamed Nile Street and King Street for Irish Patriots, so some name changes do catch on. Not sure if the Anglesey family, if there even is one, would be too perturbed if there was a name change.

Maybe if the folks proposing the change stumped up for it, rather than expecting the council to do it for "free"?

Anyhow, it's only a small handful of cranks that want this. No one else cares. Maybe if they put their energies into something useful like improving the look of the city or calling out derelict site owners?

What would you propose it be changed to?

I'd suggest maybe Tom Barry Street. Think it's remiss of the city fathers not to have a street named after a guy who did so much to help attain a measure of freedom for the people of this jurisdiction that lived in the city for so much of his life. There's a nice bust to him in Fitzgerald's Park I know but (Tom) Barry Street would be good I think.

And I don't think there are that many residents or businesses living on it that would be financially out of pocket with need for change of postal address.

Maybe if the folks proposing the change stumped up for it, rather than expecting the council to do it for "free"?

Anyhow, it's only a small handful of cranks that want this. No one else cares. Maybe if they put their energies into something useful like improving the look of the city or calling out derelict site owners?

The days of naming and re-naming streets after dead patriots are over.

Tokenism and attention seeking is all it is and our main street will not be re-named to satisfy their insatiable appetite to re-write history.

If they can enforce the parking violations or plant some trees in the public realm etc then we will all be thankful.

I'd suggest maybe Tom Barry Street. Think it's remiss of the city fathers not to have a street named after a guy who did so much to help attain a measure of freedom for the people of this jurisdiction that lived in the city for so much of his life. There's a nice bust to him in Fitzgerald's Park I know but (Tom) Barry Street would be good I think.

And I don't think there are that many residents or businesses living on it that would be financially out of pocket with need for change of postal address.

He’s already got a place (literally) named after him. Or have you never heard of Barry’s Place?

Travesty, mockery, etc.....

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

NewEra

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼