The wearing of the Poppy

Oh right.

Cause we're womenfolk.

I must admit not fond of it myself. But for some strange literary reason I dislike "pussy" even more. As in "Dat feens such a pussy, biy" As if it's so weak and delicate. Try pushing 8 pounds of screaming flesh through that pencil you call a penis boy and I'll show you who's weak and delicate!

Boy they sure use that c word a lot in The Departed. Do you think the Irish and their lesser forms use it more than any other english speaking nationality?

can someone fix that fucked-up quoting, please? i've no idea who said what to who... m

two of my great-grandfathers fought in world war one. i'll remember them in my own way, not by wearing some totemistic pin that's been hijacked by the right and that represents an army that's done as much harm as good

exileonpatrickstreet said:
can someone fix that fucked-up quoting, please? i've no idea who said what to who... m

Déanta

EOPS said:
two of my great-grandfathers fought in world war one. i'll remember them in my own way, not by wearing some totemistic (tokenistic?) pin that's been hijacked by the right and that represents an army that's done as much harm as good

trasnanadtonnta said:
I don't know about this. What's wrong with them taking pride in their fallen comrades? And it's not like Ireland has a great track record of recognising the Irish who fell in the wars?

i never said i had a problem with them mourning THEIR dead, read my post willa?

I don't think its been hijacked so much. To me its more about WW1 than any other conflict and there were 10,000's of Irishmen, Indians,New Zealanders and loads of others who died in that war, the conditions of which for those who fought in it were pretty unbelievable. First chemical attackts, first tanks, first planes, the walk to death at the somme.
When I see young people wearing the poppy I hope that they are thinking of all those men that died at the fronts, regardless of nationality.

An Rón Mór said:
its either aproddie shop or run by soem 'liberal' wanker from Dublin.

maybe he should sell swastikas aswell.

Notwithstanding the fact that I live in England...

The swastika/poppy association? Jesus, I don't know about that one. What's that rule that the first person to make a fatuous Nazi comparison is a bit of a dickhead?

I used to be a real hard ass on not wearing one and being vocal about it.
Then I saw and got to know the playwright who wrote,
"Behold the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme"

It and he changed me. Plus I got him to wear a lily.

I recommend reading it at least.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Gerald Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼