The wearing of the Poppy

northmallexile said:
On one of my jackets, I have a Goal shamrock which affixed itself to the lapel a few St. Patrick's Days back, and has since refused to budge.

Best adhesive ever invented! The girlfriend still has the outline of a Goal shamrock on her jacket from a few years back.

As for the poppies, it's not something I'd wear personally, just like I wouldn't wear an England top for example. However, it's not something I have a problem with per se, in fact I think it's fitting that the public recognise fallen armed services personnel.

I had this conversation recently. A fella sked me would I wear one if they asked me to at work and what would I say if I refused.

First off, I wouldn't wear one. Simply for the fact that I don't think English people give a shit that Irish people died in any of the wars. They wear it for the "pride" of their own fallen comrades. Fuck that.

eurythmic king of nowhere said:
I had this conversation recently. A fella sked me would I wear one if they asked me to at work and what would I say if I refused.

First off, I wouldn't wear one. Simply for the fact that I don't think English people give a shit that Irish people died in any of the wars. They wear it for the "pride" of their own fallen comrades. Fuck that.

I don't know about this. What's wrong with them taking pride in their fallen comrades? And it's not like Ireland has a great track record of recognising the Irish who fell in the wars?

northmallexile said:
The local shop has starting selling poppies for Remembrance Day, and they're becoming more and more common on jacket lapels. All of which means that I'll soon have to start work on my somewhat unconvincing justification for not wearing one.

How about other people currently in the UK? Do ye wear the poppy? Is it something we're entitled to have hang-ups about doing?

if your relatives died fighting for king and country you have a reason to wear it.
otherwise why should you? i mean do you also commemerate the American, French and german war dead?

northmallexile said:
The local shop has starting selling poppies for Remembrance Day, and they're becoming more and more common on jacket lapels.

its either aproddie shop or run by soem 'liberal' wanker from Dublin.

maybe he should sell swastikas aswell.

An Rón Mór said:

I just had a crazy thought.

Maybe someone with the word exile in his handle is living in the UK.

Could it be?

An Rón Mór said:
northmallexile said:
The local shop has starting selling poppies for Remembrance Day, and they're becoming more and more common on jacket lapels.

You're some fuckwit.

He lives in England.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
I'm Grand Mam presents That's Showbiz
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

2nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Flames

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼