The wearing of the Poppy

The local shop has starting selling poppies for Remembrance Day, and they're becoming more and more common on jacket lapels. All of which means that I'll soon have to start work on my somewhat unconvincing justification for not wearing one.

How about other people currently in the UK? Do ye wear the poppy? Is it something we're entitled to have hang-ups about doing?

Last edited:
oh dis feckin issue again.

I believe I gave a rather contentious but eloquent discourse on this a few years back.
My solution?

I wear both. That is, I wear a poppy and a lily. At the same time. And in all my travels no one has ever challenged me. And although it makes my outfits a bit "busy" at times. I feel strongly that it is the least I can do.

On one of my jackets, I have a Goal shamrock which affixed itself to the lapel a few St. Patrick's Days back, and has since refused to budge.

Maybe I could use this to qualify the poppy?

macuísle said:
oh dis feckin issue again.

I believe I gave a rather contentious but eloquent discourse on this a few years back.
My solution?

I wear both. That is, I wear a poppy and a lily. At the same time. And in all my travels no one has ever challenged me. And although it makes my outfits a bit "busy" at times. I feel strongly that it is the least I can do.

yeah we covered this ground last year. probably the year before too, but with these thread cullings it's safe to rehash old topics.

let's talk about how you don't really exist! come on it'll be a blast.

steve sanders said:
yeah we covered this ground last year. probably the year before too, but with these thread cullings it's safe to rehash old topics.

let's talk about how you don't really exist! come on it'll be a blast.

Rest assured I carried out a detailed search before posting this up - ye know my views as regards thread-recycling.

D'oriel said:
I don't.

I have a breast cancer pin on my jacket and a coat.
The red poppy would just clash with the pink pin.

Yeah. You do have to straddle very carefully, fashion sense-wise, between being "for a cause" and being one of those creepy euro trash hippies with all the buttons on their crusty levi jackets.

I do anyways.

I've never given the issue much though.

But now that you mention it, I really don't know what I'd do. I think I'll just not wear one and if anyone mentions just say I haven't bothered.

Proinsias said:
I've never given the issue much though.

But now that you mention it, I really don't know what I'd do. I think I'll just not wear one and if anyone mentions just say I haven't bothered.

ahh, apathy. the safety net for the undecided and unsure.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼