Messi walks out on his country

Well it can't be any clearer than that then . Very odd decision , surely they should be winning these tournaments against the like of Chile . Wouldn't be too happy about it if I was from Argentina . Maybe he realizes he won't win the big one and has had enough . Will just concentrate on Barcelona now to finish off his career .

Hes a gormless, tax dodging prick.
"He's a really good person, but he has no personality," Maradona said.

Ouch.

What's do fellas have a problem with here?

Messi is arguably the worlds best player, and one of the best that's lived. He has retired from international football in his 20s with a World Cup 2 years away.

Is this not a major story? Are we not allowed speak about it?

A bit of perspective is needed.

The AFA is in disarray. For Argentina to get this far was admirable.

People blaming Messi for "quitting" aren't even grasping the basics of the level of corruption at AFA
ESPN Argentina now confirming Agüero and Mascherano "retirements"... also Lavezzi, Biglia, Higuain, etc. in the coming hours to days.

Players perspective

Aguero: "Leo is the saddest among us. He did everything to win but just couldn't. He will remain the best."

RIQUELME: "Argentina are in Copa America final because of Messi. Without him we'd be now in Buenos Aires."

And because he is not Maradona he gets dogs abuse from his own fans.

Valdano: "Messi doesn't play finals (with Argentina) to win, he plays finals to be forgiven."

It's amazing that all this corruption only became a problem after losing the shoot-out.

Tbf they have not used it as an excuse.

Messi: "We came into this cup knowing (AFA's problems) but we didn't let that get to our heads."

"It has been a while since things have been going on at AFA, but we didn't say anything. We were preparing for games."

"After (the final) I will tell you about everything I saw and what is happening."

AFA:
- No president. Forced to resign because of accusations of pocketing TV money.
- No idea if next season's Primera will be played
- Hawking nat'l team around for $ that have gone missing
- Courts about to be deaffiliate the AFA from FIFA
-FIFA have decided to take over AFA in order to get house straightened.

Tbf they have not used it as an excuse.

Messi: "We came into this cup knowing (AFA's problems) but we didn't let that get to our heads."

"It has been a while since things have been going on at AFA, but we didn't say anything. We were preparing for games."

"After (the final) I will tell you about everything I saw and what is happening."

AFA:
- No president. Forced to resign because of accusations of pocketing TV money.
- No idea if next season's Primera will be played
- Hawking nat'l team around for $ that have gone missing
- Courts about to be deaffiliate the AFA from FIFA
-FIFA have decided to take over AFA in order to get house straightened.

So let me get this straight, maybe it's just me, but does Leo get the credit for Argentina getting to the last two major finals and the AFA the blame for losing in ET to Zee Chermans and on spotters to Chile?

Can't figure that one out.

I took dogs abuse here for saying there were question marks over Messi's international record and now he pulls the curtains down on it at age 29 after missing in a shoot-out at the Copa final I'm apparently not allowed bring it up.

#YCNMIU

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Love N' Dirt

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼