Immigration Thread

What's not true Cranky?

I know a particular person in Kerry who drives a fairly impressive, still Ukrainian registered despite her and the car being in the country for over a year, BMW which has no Irish tax disk and no Irish insurance disk. For a car that's permanently in Ireland (she has a job in Caherciveen) that's not compliant with tax or insurance requirements for Irish people resident here.

I work with quite a few non-nationals (as well as a couple of Irish guys who brought second hand cars in from britain) who've had to re-register their cars when they bring them in - used get up to a 6 month derrogation but I believe that's gone now and technically it should be registered within a month (I was actually told it's down to a week but I find that hard to believe tbh) if they're resident in the country.
Rather than rehash what’s written here I’ll post the link and you can read it yourself. https://www.thejournal.ie/do-ukrain...-drive-in-ireland-tax-debunk-6284574-Jan2024/

I know a particular person in Kerry who drives a fairly impressive, still Ukrainian registered despite her and the car being in the country for over a year, BMW which has no Irish tax disk and no Irish insurance disk. For a car that's permanently in Ireland (she has a job in Caherciveen) that's not compliant with tax or insurance requirements for Irish people resident here.
I know Irish people with Irish registered cars, no tax and insurance living in Ireland. They are breaking the law just like your "particular person". Ukrainian or not, they need insurance to drive on Irish roads.
Ukrainians can apply for an exemption from motor tax where a vehicle is temporarily brought into Ireland, known as a ‘vehicle temporary exemption. However this has been a rule long before the war in Ukraine. If your "particular person" hasn't done this, they are again breaking the law.

Rather than rehash what’s written here I’ll post the link and you can read it yourself. https://www.thejournal.ie/do-ukrain...-drive-in-ireland-tax-debunk-6284574-Jan2024/

Looks a cleverly worded article Cranky.

I can tell you for a fact that the car I see on a fairly regular basis has neither Irish tax nor Irish Insurance cert on display - which by law you must have here, and on display.

Now maybe they've paid road tax to Ukrainian govt, and are insured by a Ukrainian insurance company - if we could get away with using a UK car insurance company to insure our driving cars in Ireland it'd be great, and much cheaper. But it's not legal for cars that are being driven primarily in Ireland.

They may technically be insured (by a company insuring to a different standard) but if it was insured to drive exclusively in Ireland, where the car has been for at least 12 months, they'd have the requisite Irish compliant insurance certs on display and I can tell you for a fact this particular car doesn't.

Given that it's left hand drive it would probably cost more than the RHD equivalent to under an Irish registered insurance company as well.

12% of cars on Irish roads are said to be uninsured. I find it extremely hard to believe that particular car (and there may well be many like it around the place but I know this one for a fact) is properly taxed and insured for use on Irish roads the way my car has to be.

I know Irish people with Irish registered cars, no tax and insurance living in Ireland. They are breaking the law just like your "particular person". Ukrainian or not, they need insurance to drive on Irish roads.
Ukrainians can apply for an exemption from motor tax where a vehicle is temporarily brought into Ireland, known as a ‘vehicle temporary exemption. However this has been a rule long before the war in Ukraine.

How long is "temporarily"? This one has been here for more than a year.

Ukrainians can apply for an exemption from motor tax where a vehicle is temporarily brought into Ireland, known as a ‘vehicle temporary exemption. However this has been a rule long before the war in Ukraine.
The Guards finally have the full insurance database for private cars linked to their on board computers and loads are getting caught with the cars being impounded on the spot for having no insurance.

Bluebot talking about flip flopping while he keeps wanting to give McEntee one more chance but claiming he's not supporting her. GoWanYaPity
I would have her on the first bus to Belfast (No one else wants to go there so it would be a kind of cruel punishment, I guess) if I had my way.

But it is not up to me.

Simon Harris possibly giving her one more chance before her ritual sacrifice is what I am thinking.

I am not Simon Harris if that helps with your confusion?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼