Cork Hurlers - Part 2

You should send that advice into the county board for the attention of Pat Ryan and co. They'll really appreciate your wisdom and insight. Could be a gig for you with the Examiner as well as a hot take columnist replacing Derek McGrath.
“Stop The Ball”
What’s your problem with that exactly?
If you followed hurling you’d surely know that this is the mantra of none other than Brian Cody. This is the advice and instruction he gives to the half back line “.stop the ball”
It’s so simple but so effective.
If you don’t know what it means then I can’t help you.
Google it there. Plenty videos of Cody explaining “Stop the Ball”. I’m a better coach but he looks better on camera

Haven’t missed many cork matches in last 10 yrs league or c/ship but the glass is definitely half empty at this stage. We have huge problems in the county when it comes to one of the basic arts of hurling …. Defending. Winning shootouts won’t win you much silverware. Hate to say it but can’t see much light at the end of the tunnell unfortunately. We might have won a few 20s but I am still at a loss to see who these missing stars are. Our club championships are bog standard average played at exhibition pace. Sorry for the pessimism but it’s sad to see our demise.

PR gave Saunderson ONE game , then left him out for the next game - against Offaly, a game we would have won with me playing ! What kind of message did this send to Saunderson ( and Collins ) as to what to expect for the rest of yhe year ?

I don't blame Collins . I blame the lad who picks him
PR gave Saunderson ONE game , then left him out for the next game - against Offaly, a game we would have won with me playing ! What kind of message did this send to Saunderson ( and Collins ) as to what to expect for the rest of yhe year ?

I don't blame Collins . I blame the lad who picks him
I am sure Collins isn't even a keeper for hes own club

Ye are already wrong about Seamus. He is one of our best players in the last year since PR came in and he did ok last Sunday scoring 2 points, better than many others. One of our best players over the last decade
He was very unlucky to be taken off and his disbelief as he left the field over another poor decision from management was reasonable and justified.
Targeting Harnedy for criticism makes no sense to me.
You’re dead right. Seamie is a legend down here . Unreal servant over the last decade , anyone that says otherwise is fucking wrong

Thought it was an outstanding performance in patches today. Still have the makings of a serious team when they get motoring.

Clare got the rub of the green with what we missed. It happens. We'd still almost certainly have won with 15 men.

There's no reason why we can't beat the AI champions in a fortnight. Produce another display like today, and get a bit more luck, and we absolutely could.

On the downside, you have to wonder why we still haven't a settled 15. You have to ask why a player in the FB line is left on the field with a yellow for the second week in a row. Some of the puckouts were shocking too, but it's the first time I saw Collins that bad.

It's easy to be despondent tonight. We're all pissed off. But, ask yourself if there was an improvement on last week? In my book, a huge improvement. Clare aren't some second rate Lori Meagher outfit. They're AI contenders and we came damn close to beating them with 14 men. This team is one big win away from igniting. It's fucked up that we may have to wait another year. We need to keep the heads down and keep winning U20s. Keep producing players and keep young players in other counties used to losing to Cork. If we were in Leinster we'd be looking towards an AI Q-final from the start of the year and we could build a team much more quickly. The GAA have created a competition that's just going to hand more AIs to KK and Galway. But that's another debate I guess.

Yes but at same time the last 4 losses were by 1pt, 1pt, 3pts, 2pts. So scoring plenty too.
To me that's almost what's most frustrating, every game is by a single score and we can all find mistakes each game that are costing the team. So it feels they're not miles off any day but can't get a win.
Nobody is blowing them away in the manner Limerick dispatched Tipp today
Yep, kind of how I see it.
As opposed to ripping it all up, as some seem to be suggesting we should, it's a case of finding two or three more of the "right players", amongst all of the group of players available. Those with the mindset to make the difference in these close games.

You'd hope that for the likes of ETwomey and EDowney that they'll take some massive learnings from the game.
I was concerned for them when I saw they were selected given their lack of experience and the huge pressure on Cork to deliver.
It was a real test of character and I think both showed the character required.
For me that's a big plus.
Think it's a shame that ROF and Coleman, having missed so much hurling last year, and had those injury setbacks this season.
Having both firing on all cylinders would make a difference.

That said it's going to take some super human effort to get the team over this and ready for Limerick.
If we do nothing else this season we need to maintain today's level and push for a performance versus them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼