Cork Hurlers - Part 2

He must be injured .meade Was decent in 2018 picking up loose ball floating around midfield but that’s not possible anymore with midfield being a warzone now . Limerick and clare have no one like Luke meade on their panel and it shows when they play us. Meade is soft and does not have the fight in him to burst his bollox to stop Davy fitzgerlad from scoring . He gave up. I can only imagine the amount of fellas on the bench and extended panel and even lads who aren’t on the panel whod give their arm to take his jersey off him and yet cant get a look in
Sadly I think your right. He slowed down, when Downey attempted to tackle D Fitz and then missed a hook afterwards as he was too far back. We lost by 2 points, he was fresh sub after being introduced. Thats just not good enough. Its small margins.

Compare this to TOC lung bursting hooks during the league, had one against wford aswell.

P Ryan must take responsibilty for these selections. The Meades, Colemans are too light to win dirty ball in Midfield, never mind catching and field ball. Even Twomey who was fine today needs to get stronger really.

As others have said, Fitz is really a forward and a damn good one but is selected midfield constantly.

ROF was so poor as well. None of the substitutions worked. Hard Fail for P Ryan today.

You’re surely having a laugh? The obsession with trying to pull hard on a puck out against someone as good as Duggan. Stop the ball. Duggan like a man against a child
Honestly, Way too harsh Mr.
Duggan is like 7ft tall ffs. Mother doused the pup in Ivomec growing up I’d say.. His arms and paws like telescopic fucking loaders up in the air.. let’s be real here tonight on the task some of our lads are labored with.

Sadly I think your right. He slowed down, when Downey attempted to tackle D Fitz and then missed a hook afterwards as he was too far back. We lost by 2 points, he was fresh sub after being introduced. Thats just not good enough. Its small margins.

Compare this to TOC lung bursting hooks during the league, had one against wford aswell.

P Ryan must take responsibilty for these selections. The Meades, Colemans are too light to win dirty ball in Midfield, never mind catching and field ball. Even Twomey who was fine today needs to get stronger really.

As others have said, Fitz is really a forward and a damn good one but is selected midfield constantly.

ROF was so poor as well. None of the substitutions worked. Hard Fail for P Ryan today.
Bursting your balls to get back and make hooks and blocks is just the bare minimum. Coaches always used say to me , if ur not playing well and ur not winning ball , the only thing that matters is you work your balls off to make sure if your not going to win it make sure your marker won’t have it easy. This is something that is missing from cork . Luke meade giving up on tracking fitzgerald is outrageous . If that happened under Brian Cody or John kiely or any other serious manager can you honestly say he’d ever play again ? The one thing you cannot do is give up .I’d never have him see the field again after it

Since Ger Cunningham we have somehow bizarrely lost the ability to produce top keepers, to the point that in Cork we don’t seem to even know anymore what a good one actually is imo.
I’m sorry but I have to take issue with this. Ger Cunningham had, comparing to nowadays, an easy gig. He was a good keeper for sure, but when it came to puck outs, drive the ball as far as you can every single time. Nowadays keepers have to be able to put it on a sixpence.

Now for Cork this is a huge issue because we are lacking ball winners. So when they pressure really comes (around 45-50 mins today), Cork options are go long and probably lose it, or try and work it short. Opposition know that we don’t want to go long so it’s easy to set up traps for our shorts ones. I’ve defended Patrick here plenty times. It’s hard to do that today when unfortunately he hasn’t had a good outing (though I thought his puck outs for Harnedy / Barrett / Dalton to run onto in the 1st half were actually good) but lads on here thinking just get Saunderson in there and it will sort everything out are fucking deluded. Until we get enough ball winners in the side, we will continue to slate the goalkeeper for not competing an impossible task.

Look at last years match against Limerick. They were under the cosh, we were back to a point. They had a puck out with a couple of minutes to go. The much lauded Quaid didn’t have to worry too much about his puck out. When the pressure was at its highest he just drove it long and high on top of Hegarty, safe in the Knowledge that Hegarty would do the business. Until that happens for Cork, I guarantee you lads here will be moaning about our goalkeepers, whoever they may be, for years to come.

Last edited:
No his puckouts were absolutely dreadful, really really poor for this level, they weren’t giving players a chance as they weren’t reaching them, imo he has always been average but today was a really bad day, next manager needs to look at change here.
Tim was in big trouble half way through the first half and no change from the line until he went off, again the line way too slow why not even switch Downey over, Meade as a sub made zero impact and it was crying out for o’connellw energy and fight, Kingston again in a battle is not the player to bring no , they should have kept faith and brought on Twomey, way too many mistakes being made on the line not helping an average team
Part of the problem with Collins puc outs was in the first half he was able to reach the inside line with the wind and Connolly was competing well for them. In the second half he was lucky to reach the half forwards who coughed most of them up, that and of course the good few in the second half he landed straight to Clare half backs or midfielders.

Dude - we get it. You’re down on this team / management / cork hurling culture etc. That’s all fair enough. I’m not saying you’re wrong and of course you are entitled to express your opinion. But you just keep throwing out the same garbage one-liners. Maybe add something productive or insightful?
Erra don't expect too much that's productive or insightful about Cork on here mate.
Not the place for it, it's only ever going to over represent the folks who want to lash out.

People I went to the game with, people I've spoken to, all absolutely gutted. Some of an age where they know time is against them when it comes to ever seeing Cork win an AI again.
None getting stuck into players or PR as the consensus was we gave it everything, that's all you can ask of a team.
That's f**** sport, that's f***** life.

Niall did it twice
I didn’t notice SOD doing it
O'Leary did it twice as well, O'Doughane did it once but the fact Pat Ryan made him captain makes it worse.

Again, better players are sitting at home watching this puke stuff!. There is U20 All Winners watching lads who never won anything underage playing for the Cork Seniors wondering what they have to do before they get there chance!

That was Niall O'Leary
Sums up this forum pretty well.

Another absolutely heartbreaking defeat. In fairness to the lads they gave it their all and I for one appreciate the efforts of all involved and will continue to support them as long as we're in the championship. We were left with a mountain to climb having to play with 14 for 25 minutes but kept in the game. The few minutes playing with 13 really killed us.

Rush of blood to the head from Sean today after a heroic block and it cost us big time. Should have been either moved off Shane O Donnell or taken off once on a yellow. He's undoubtedly worth his place on the team imo however.

For what it's worth I thought Tim battled hard on Duggan despite getting some stick here. Scored a great point, set up a few scores and even broke a few in the air before Duggan admittedly went to town. Should have tried Downey on him at that point. Dismissing players as "not good enough" for having some difficulty marking top intercounty forwards is just ludicrous.

Really hoping ROF can find his form from two years ago but he looks off it currently. I also wouldn't be as quick as others to write off Mark Coleman. Both have had a torrid time with injury and have had a serious lack of game time which shouldn't be forgotten.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Underground Loft: Open Mic Poetry & Storytelling

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼