Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Yes but at same time the last 4 losses were by 1pt, 1pt, 3pts, 2pts. So scoring plenty too.
To me that's almost what's most frustrating, every game is by a single score and we can all find mistakes each game that are costing the team. So it feels they're not miles off any day but can't get a win.
Nobody is blowing them away in the manner Limerick dispatched Tipp today
That's the difference between a good team and a very good team (AI contenders), unfortunately.

This is typical of the flawed view on young hurlers in Cork. In Cork fellas think player development & progression is like steps of a stairs. That’s just more of the rebel og bullcrap. One Cork Corkness BS, you couldn’t make it up.

The backbone of those Limerick U21 teams were already senior Limerick hurlers. Some of the main guys went straight from minor to senior as should be the case in Cork too if fellas are good enough.
But In Cork you somehow have to be 23/24 before you are given a chance.
It's actually to do with a lack of Corkness which is the opposite. The managers/coaches are obsessed with S&C and believe the players have to go through the gym process before they're given the Jersey and when they get the Jersey they're expected to be ultra consistent without any development process. We have too many bad judges who are managers/coaches and selectors and we even have them on a repititive basis.

When Cork won last years U-20 AI we should all remember how highly rated Micheal Mullins was by Tony Considine for example but Mullins is not involved with the seniors this year. Now Considine doesn't possess an incling of Corkness as he's a Clare man.

In his first senior championship game last year v Waterford Brian Roche was Man of the Match but now he can't make the Cork match day panel.

Ger Millerick and Tommy O'Connell rated good enough to start last week but not good enough to come on today.

There are plenty more examples that point to the talent being good enough but the failure is in bringing the talent through to form a winning squad.

You have overlooked Limerick's underage success in winning 3 Munsters and 2 U-20 AI's but it needs to be pointed out that the political cancer in Limerick hurling was practically eradicated in 2014 after Limerick lost the AI minor final to KK. Hard calls needed to be made on Shannonside and the right people got together and pressurised the county board in doing same. Limerick in turn brought their talent through to senior level while Cork has not with as much talent or even more, IMO the reasons for this differential are obvious.

I left Walsh Park depressed mostly at the poor work rate.
Today we died with our boots on, scored 3-24 and lost narrowly to one of the top teams in the country.
Negativity is unnecessary.
Our next objective is to measure this improved passion and aggression against Limerick. We can give our views on next year when that is finally necessary.
PC is not top class but no alternative was really tried in the league and we’re stuck with him for the next game.
Minimal changes should be made as all of the team worked their arses off today.
I’d like to see Brian Roche at midfield with ET. DF started in the full forward line and I’d try him there instead of BH but that probably won’t happen.
GM should be seriously considered.
If we are interested in beating LK then we need someone at 4 who can compete in the air with Gillane. ED seems the only option. If we do that we need ER or DC at 3 and SID, NOL or GM at 2 GM would be my choice.
It’s time to be positive.

Robbie o flynn just could not win a puck out . It’s a fright to god we can’t have someone like duggan where you can throw a ball down on top of and know he’s going to win it . Sean twomey is the same size and yet he isnt capable
We rarely generate a forward like Hoggy. Today he rolled back time and gave us a chance to appreciate quality. Thanks for the memories Hoggy

Seeing a lot of interest in Joe cannings remarks, in fairness to Joe he acknowledged that the same could be said of the teams he played on.

Ultimately the beauty of sport is that the Cork team can answer all those charges laid against them at 2 o clock this afternoon. In reality they’ve little enough comeback against those charges until they do because over the last ten years they’ve proven they’re capable of beating anyone in the country and also losing to them. The Cork sporting public in their reaction to how the hurlers performed last year showed pretty clearly that if a team gives it’s absolute all and competes then that’s all they ask of them.

I really hope they stick it to Clare today. I loved their team of the 90s and even their 2013 team was an absolute joy but over the last two or three years there’s an arrogance about the way their supporters and journalists more so than team and officials refer to Cork that is completely fucking unwarranted. The Second Best Team In The Country (TM) who never won Munster or made an All Ireland final. The stuff about the stadium is another part of it. I would love nothing better than to see those cunts traipsing out of the pairc today to moan about the traffic in buttevant as they come home with two defeats from two. Hang your Freed from Desire up that lads.
Can someone just have a quick call in on tones during the week.

You know, make sure he's getting up, getting dressed, eating something healthy.

👍👍

I left Walsh Park depressed mostly at the poor work rate.
Today we died with our boots on, scored 3-24 and lost narrowly to one of the top teams in the country.
Negativity is unnecessary.
Our next objective is to measure this improved passion and aggression against Limerick. We can give our views on next year when that is finally necessary.
PC is not top class but no alternative was really tried in the league and we’re stuck with him for the next game.
Minimal changes should be made as all of the team worked their arses off today.
I’d like to see Brian Roche at midfield with ET. DF started in the full forward line and I’d try him there instead of BH but that probably won’t happen.
GM should be seriously considered.
If we are interested in beating LK then we need someone at 4 who can compete in the air with Gillane. ED seems the only option. If we do that we need ER or DC at 3 and SID, NOL or GM at 2 GM would be my choice.
It’s time to be positive.

Unfortunately, it's whack- a - mole with the Cork hurlers over the last 6 - 8 years. Multiple issues that look resolved for a match or two just keep popping again and again.

Last edited:
Robbie o flynn just could not win a puck out . It’s a fright to god we can’t have someone like duggan where you can throw a ball down on top of and know he’s going to win it . Sean twomey is the same size and yet he isnt capable
Twomey would be well capable if Cork managers had any value in it. He's 24 and has been brutalising defenders for years on the fitzgibbon.
He finally got a go last week and was dumped after 35 minutes.

Hardly going to build his confidence.

This time next year road runners like Jack O connor Jack leahy and William Buckley will be ahead of him until they run into dan morrissey and the likes

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼