Your Mental Health

That’s mad.

My end point on my previous post which I stupidly omitted was I don’t know how anyone with bad or long term depression handles it.
I was freaking out after one day.
It's a horrible vicious animal. Eventhough people of years gone by would say "ah his nerves are at him" or the most disgusting thing "Man up". I always say, if you have a broken leg or arm, people can see it but if it's mental it's awfully worse and they say "It's all in your head". The thing is the brain and mind are extermely powerful.

Thing is it’s very easy to label people as a down and out alcoholic or drug addict and throw them in the trash heap of society.

Question is why did they find the temporary answer in alcohol or drugs, usually an undiagnosed mental condition. After many years sober I discovered I had ADHD. Had services been there as a kid to find that out perhaps I could have saved myself a whole lot of pain from the bottle.

As you say Education of mental health needs big investment and will save money in the long term.
Christ, I make you right. I had a pretty bad childhood for lots of reasons but was always put that it was my own doing/fault. At the moment I'm going through tests for ADHD and others. It would maybe explains some things

Christ, I make you right. I had a pretty bad childhood for lots of reasons but was always put that it was my own doing/fault. At the moment I'm going through tests for ADHD and others. It would maybe explains some things
Good luck with that. Plenty go through life without really knowing but no need to suffer with the right help.

I read somewhere that approx 3.5% of the US population has ADHD yet 40% of the Prison population are diagnosed with ADHD.

Think of the cost savings with correct investment in healthcare and schooling for mental health.

Good luck with that. Plenty go through life without really knowing but no need to suffer with the right help.

I read somewhere that approx 3.5% of the US population has ADHD yet 40% of the Prison population are diagnosed with ADHD.

Think of the cost savings with correct investment in healthcare and schooling for mental health.
It's only a chapter in a book and I'm making no claims of knowledge because I read a few pages, but

In one chapter of Stolen Focus the author wrote about ADHD. He interviewed one psychiatrist who instead of automatically prescribing Ritalin, he investigated the life circumstances of the child, found out a few things and when those things changed the kids were no longer hyperactive and were able to concentrate much better.

IIRC some kids still needed Ritalin but the numbers reduced drastically.

Edit: if you have young kids you should definitely read this book

It's only a chapter in a book and I'm making no claims of knowledge because I read a few pages, but

In one chapter of Stolen Focus the author wrote about ADHD. He interviewed one psychiatrist who instead of automatically prescribing Ritalin, he investigated the life circumstances of the child, found out a few things and when those things changed the kids were no longer hyperactive and were able to concentrate much better.

Very true Donald, be it child or Adult it can take a lot of time to find the right combination of drugs that suit a person and can be quite a trauma getting the right mix, a lot of side effects such as High blood pressure etc or those who battle addiction cannot take some specific medication as it may give them the urge to drink or use again.

Thankfully there is now an emphasis of CBT therapy as an alterative to medication, a lot to be said about climbing a mountain or jumping in a lake, healthy body is a healthy mind and all that.

Very little prescriptions of Ritalin aka methamphetamine in this country even now. It's close to impossible to get a diagnosis as a kid and if you aren't diagnosed by 18 forget about it.

In many ways there are very few advantages to being diagnosed with ADHD besides self knowledge of your own brain chemistry.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jennifer Lyons

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼