Your Favourite Gangster Film

Best review of pulpfiction I've read. Overrated shite imo

If anyone can tell me what the movie is all about, I'll send him a donation. I'm confused. Perhaps that was the entire premise of the movie. Confusion. But then, all of Tarantino's movies are like that. Fairly pointless.

Tarantino has a very straightforward approach to cinema. Find an oil tanker, fill it with blood, then spend about an hour and a half pouring gore onto the audience, so they don't notice the trivial details like quality, continuity, or plot. Pulp Fiction also happens to be formulaic. The four segments thingie is later repeated in the Four Rooms movie, with the last scene reserved for the director himself, unsuccessfully I must add. And we know John can dance. We've seen him do that in Saturday Night Fever and Grease, back to back. While Travolta has a sort of an annoying, punch-me-in-the-face charm that works well for villains, Uma was not a good choice. She was way too skinny back then. Now, they did have good chemistry. They did get back in Be Cool, which is a far more successful, far more sophisticated production, plus the dance scene makes more sense there, plus Uma looks way better ten years later, as she has plumped a bit and can now contest in the major league.

You must give credit to Tarantino, though. He makes fairly unique movies. He's raw, brutal and uncharacteristic. He's consistent and true to his own vision of what cinema ought to be. He even has a decent camera presence. His act in Desperado almost makes you like him. But that's about it. He fails at making that last step, the transition from smearing entrails over the lens to a closure. His movies are incomplete, even though they read THE END somewhere.

Back to Pulp Fiction, it's pointless. Decent dialogue here and there, but nothing more than that. Again, without almost divine worship and too lavish praise by shocked audience, it could have been an okay action sequence to watch when there's nothing better to do. The way it is, it's a confusion movie that begs the question: What for?

Dedoimedo grades Pulp Fiction at 3/10.

That hasn’t aged well.

Pulp Fiction is a brilliant movie.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼