Wuhan Wheeze

It seems that the call made is that we are better getting everyone infected quickly rather than a drip feed approach. Looking at it one way we are at the wrong end of the league table in the chart quoted above, but if the disease rages through quickly do we come out the other side in good order, ahead of everyone else?

I know up to now the disease variants were quite serious and now Omicron it seems is just an inconvenience by comparison. We are learning as we go. Imagine if we started to track cold and flus like this is future? I’m sure the spread we are seeing with Omicron is probably still slower than the speed of the flus and colds pre 2020.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t mutate to a dodgy version once more!

It seems that the call made is that we are better getting everyone infected quickly rather than a drip feed approach. Looking at it one way we are at the wrong end of the league table in the chart quoted above, but if the disease rages through quickly do we come out the other side in good order, ahead of everyone else?

I know up to now the disease variants were quite serious and now Omicron it seems is just an inconvenience by comparison. We are learning as we go. Imagine if we started to track cold and flus like this is future? I’m sure the spread we are seeing with Omicron is probably still slower than the speed of the flus and colds pre 2020.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t mutate to a dodgy version once more!
I saw a video with Dr John Campbell a couple of weeks back where he mentioned that omicron spread far faster than the common cold.
He also mentioned that we were very, very fortunate that it went the milder path.
Can you imagine a virus that spreadable with a worse outcome for the individual?

Link?
Extraordinary claims require data.

I doubt the study is saying being vaccinated increases your chance of catching Omicron.

What I suspect that study shows is that because of the protection against previous variants, boosted people don't get previous variants, whereas unvaccinated people do.
SARS-CoV-2 Omicron VOC Transmission in Danish Households

I can't find any evidence that boosted people don't get previous variants 🤔

We could finally be over the worst of this, couldn't we?
There are a lot of commentators just itching to call time on it but I think it's way too early to say, there will be more variants and it could rumble along for years but at a less disruptive pace than it has been upto now.

It's scary to think what the world would be like now if vaccines hadn't come along so quickly.

I saw a video with Dr John Campbell a couple of weeks back where he mentioned that omicron spread far faster than the common cold.
He also mentioned that we were very, very fortunate that it went the milder path.
Can you imagine a virus that spreadable with a worse outcome for the individual?
Covid when it first appeared had a mortality rate of less than 1%, and is much less now due to vaccines, better treatment and waning pathogenicity. It is estimated that Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2%. Viruses and especially zoonotic viruses are constantly mutating and invariably there will be new pandemics as there always has been in the past. We can only hope that modern medicine can cope with any newly emerging pandemics. It is a sobering thought to consider that this microscopic organism, which is incapable of replicating itself on its own, strained our modern and sophisticated systems and our health systems and even our society to cope with its consequences. We may not be so lucky in the future.

Last edited:
SARS-CoV-2 Omicron VOC Transmission in Danish Households

I can't find any evidence that boosted people don't get previous variants 🤔
Paragraph 3:
We found an increased transmission for unvaccinated individuals, and a reduced transmission for booster-vaccinated individuals, compared to fully vaccinated individuals

Followed by:
Comparing households infected with the Omicron to Delta VOC, we found an 1.17 (95%-CI: 0.99-1.38) times higher SAR for unvaccinated, 2.61 times (95%-CI: 2.34-2.90) higher for fully vaccinated and 3.66 (95%-CI: 2.65-5.05) times higher for booster-vaccinated individuals, demonstrating strong evidence of immune evasiveness of the Omicron VOC

Which is basically what I said.

Paragraph 3:
We found an increased transmission for unvaccinated individuals, and a reduced transmission for booster-vaccinated individuals, compared to fully vaccinated individuals

Followed by:
Comparing households infected with the Omicron to Delta VOC, we found an 1.17 (95%-CI: 0.99-1.38) times higher SAR for unvaccinated, 2.61 times (95%-CI: 2.34-2.90) higher for fully vaccinated and 3.66 (95%-CI: 2.65-5.05) times higher for booster-vaccinated individuals, demonstrating strong evidence of immune evasiveness of the Omicron VOC

Which is basically what I said.
Sure, your highlighted paragragh is in relation to getting covid the second time. No argument.

But the study clearly shows that the booster vaccine is less effective due to virus becoming more evasive.

Sure, your highlighted paragragh is in relation to getting covid the second time. No argument.

But the study clearly shows that the booster vaccine is less effective due to virus becoming more evasive.
Yes, it is reasonably effective at dodging vaccines, think that much has been very clear. Very much depends on the mix of vaccines, Moderna after Astra Zeneca is apparently very effective, so I'm happy to have had that combination.

So nothing particularly new there

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Tony Cantwell - Litterbox

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼