Writing your will

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, wills?

• I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I have children.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I need to get around to it. My finances are a convoluted mess, half a dozen pensions, investment accounts and various bits n pieces in multiple countries.

It'd be a horror to sort out.

I need to get around to it. My finances are a convoluted mess, half a dozen pensions, investment accounts and various bits n pieces in multiple countries.

It'd be a horror to sort out.

:shock:

zkkeaa.jpg

So, I've decided it's beyond time to write a will.

I have no children, and own no property, so it could be just a massive waste of time, but there are certain things I'd like certain people to have. It does seem a little ridiculous to be so formal when I have nothing worth anything though.

Do you have a will?

Any spitefulness in it, like cutting out relatives or giving everything to a cat sanctuary?

It is not a waste of time at all and what you feel mightn't be worth anything might be of sentimental value to someone else.

I've seen petty squabbles in my own family about things that belonged to my nan. Jewelry that wasn't of high value, ornaments and furniture even :(

All things that weren't worth much but have either 'been in the family for years' or reminded them of her in some way.

Grief does funny things to even the most reasonable of families, so as morbid as it might feel it's still probably a good thing to do.

That being said I don't have my own one sorted out. It was never something I really thought about, but since turning 25 a few months back It's actually popped into my head once or twice. I don't know if it's a mid-twenties crisis or what :p

Yeah you record it in your will but it's not enforceable. I'm registered with Trinity and my sister is aware of my wishes. Mattie can contradict me but as far as I'm aware my family are free to do with me as they please.

Probate is not my area, but I believe that your family can override your wishes in terms of burial etc.

Don't put such things into a will, as 11 points out, the will won't be read before the funeral most of the time. Tell your next of kin what you want done, if you think it will be contentious with other family members then write a letter of wishes and leave it with your next of kin so that they can prove your wishes to others if needs be.

You do occasionally get people who want to put all sorts of mean and nasty things into their wills. I refuse to draft those types of wills. It is the last thing you will ever say to your next of kin, it shouldn't be full of vitriol imo.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show

The Roundy, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼