• Iran

• UK

• US

• Syria

• Nort Korea

• Egypt

• Serbia

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cyrillic is an alphabet, not a language or a language group. The Slavic groups you mentioned are not the only ones who write in Cyrillic. The Kazakhs, who speak a Turkic language, also use Cyrillic. Calling languages “Cyrillic” is like calling the languages that use the Latin script “Latin languages”.

Jesus wept.
Saying Cyrillic is like saying the Romance languages, Spanish, French & Italian. Share a same root.

EU is not desperate to have Serbia in. Have you ever been there? So you have any clue of the mindset people have there? 500 years of Ottoman rule did its thing, they have nothing in common with western values

Far be it for me to interrupt yer spat lads but surely the Ottoman Rule "did its thing" with a lot more in the region than just Serbia - it stretched to the Adriatic including much of modern Bosnia-Herzogovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, and even parts of Croatia, and up to Hungary in the north afaik.
Yeah it was shrinking from it's widest extent in the 1500s but not sure it stayed particularly in Serbia longer than other countries around it, and it finally effectively shrank to all but the western fringes of the Bospherous.

Over the years I've worked with a number of people from the region though I've never been in the Balkans. Good and bad where e'er you go but let's just say that the Serbs I encountered each seemed to have an air of menace mixed with arrogance about them, but I think I've only worked with three definite Serbs so probably best not to imagine it's a national trait.

No you didn't, you mentioned 3 languages. I expanded it for you so you understand how messy Balkans are. Kosovo and Serbia culturally similar 🤣
What I am saying and you can confirm this with your backpacking adventures is most of the languages of the Balkans & former Soviet Union are culturally quite close, not saying there are differences like.

Far be it for me to interrupt yer spat lads but surely the Ottoman Rule "did its thing" with a lot more in the region than just Serbia - it stretched to the Adriatic including much of modern Bosnia-Herzogovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, and even parts of Croatia, and up to Hungary in the north afaik.
Yeah it was shrinking from it's widest extent in the 1500s but not sure it stayed particularly in Serbia longer than other countries around it, and it finally effectively shrank to all but the western fringes of the Bospherous.

Over the years I've worked with a number of people from the region though I've never been in the Balkans. Good and bad where e'er you go but let's just say that the Serbs I encountered each seemed to have an air of menace mixed with arrogance about them, but I think I've only worked with three definite Serbs so probably best not to imagine it's a national trait.
For once I actually believe your anecdotal twaddle.

1713800239954.png
1713800295372.png

Ottomans were not in Croatia at all, that's where they were stopped. They were the longest in Serbia and some parts of Bosnia and Albania.

You gave good diagnosis of Serbs.

What I am saying and you can confirm this with your backpacking adventures is most of the languages of the Balkans & former Soviet Union are culturally quite close, not saying there are differences like.
They are not. South Slavs can't understand East Slavs. Western Slavs don't have a clue what Eastern Slavs or Southern Slavs are talking about, and vice versa. Not to Mention Hungarians, Slovenians, Albanians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Greek, they couldn't make sense of most Slavs are on about. Go back to school or start travelling.

I wasn't backpacking, I was in a peace mission you fool.

If you join any Slavic Facebook group you will see that they are mostly communicating in English, there is a reason for it, they can't understand each others.

They are not. South Slavs can't understand East Slavs. Western Slavs don't have a clue what Eastern Slavs or Southern Slavs are talking about, and vice versa. Not to Mention Hungarians, Slovenians, Albanians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Greek, they couldn't make sense of most Slavs are on about. Go back to school or start travelling.

I wasn't backpacking, I was in a peace mission you fool.

If you join any Slavic Facebook group you will see that they are mostly communicating in English, there is a reason for it, they can't understand each others.
For the love of god do you actually don't read my posts. You are so arrogant and think you have all the answers you forget to read what people say. I said Greek, Albanian, Hungarian & Romanian are not part of the Cyrillic speaking world they are very different what I am talking about are those European & Asian people that share the same alphabet & culture sure Russia came to Serbia's help in WW1 precisely because of this shared culture.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Dr Herringbone Dread

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼