What is tiptronic?

Hang_Sandwich said:
gt 4 celica, nissan skyline, subaru legacy B4, or go for an aussie brute like a holden vsr - you'd get them all cheap as chips over there. with regard to the fto - rotting oil sump, had to recondition the alternator and cracked camshaft to name three problems a friend of mine had last year.

nice one boy. just had a look at those now. I'm pretty much driving a Celica now so looking for something even more sporty. could pick up a celica for about $3k out here, looking to spend 8 or 9. am tempted by the idea of driving a bmw but i really like the look of the FTO. The skyline is a weapon of choice out here. Driven by a lot of Mauri lads - gangsta style! - but not sure i want to be in that category if you know what i mean! Couldn't find a VSR. Could always wait a few months and buy a bmw roadster with the extra savings. just not sure though. the az3 frightens me at this stage, i've replaced almost everything once. it's a mongrel of a car at this stage, about the only thing original is the body adn the seats! so keen to offload it now.

nice one for the advice. if anything else comes to mind, i appreciate the idea.

Superdave said:
nice one boy. just had a look at those now. I'm pretty much driving a Celica now so looking for something even more sporty. could pick up a celica for about $3k out here, looking to spend 8 or 9. am tempted by the idea of driving a bmw but i really like the look of the FTO. The skyline is a weapon of choice out here. Driven by a lot of Mauri lads - gangsta style! - but not sure i want to be in that category if you know what i mean! Couldn't find a VSR. Could always wait a few months and buy a bmw roadster with the extra savings. just not sure though. the az3 frightens me at this stage, i've replaced almost everything once. it's a mongrel of a car at this stage, about the only thing original is the body adn the seats! so keen to offload it now.

nice one for the advice. if anything else comes to mind, i appreciate the idea.

emm there is a big difference between a standard celica and a gt4 celica, mostly along the lines of twin turbos and 4wd trust me you woul;d not be lacking in power driving one of these. how about a holden monaro cv8, a 22b impreza, or mitsubishi eclipse perhaps or a mazda rx7?

Holden Monaro - $37k. Far too much for now. 5.7L! holy shit!

the impreza - 18k - bit more reasonable alright. looks well.

The RX8 is a beauty but up over 30k too. My fav of those you suggested though.

Not sure what to do but will keep looking away anyway and save while i'm thinking. Nice one for the advice boy.

Superdave said:
The RX8 is a beauty but up over 30k too. My fav of those you suggested though.

Not RX-8, its predecessor the RX-7. A much quicker car by all accounts, should be right up your street by the sounds of it. Its only rated as a 1.3 so your insurance would be for peanuts, but its realisticly a 2.6 turbo. You should be able to pick up an early 90`s model for the money you`re talking about.

House head said:
Apparently RX-7's are extremely thirsty,
Probably a bit of a handful on wet country roads too,
They look sweet though, and they have a wankel ;)

yes its would be like having a psychotic oul'doll or something, do anything to annoy it and it will kill you, but when you are in it, its the business. its supposed to be quite hard to insure desipte it 1300cc however you can't insure it as that , more like insuring two 650 cc motorbikes with turbos (price wise that is) but this shouldn't be a problem in NZ. Aparently if you drive it on a bit you'd better be a regular at track days and such to be able to keep it between the ditches

What insurance group are they??
If your goin down the RWD jap road how bout a 200sx s14 or s15, sweet cars and probably more insurable and less thirsty than an RX-7

I would personally go for the RX7, you could pick up an s14 easily enough when you come back to Ireland as they are getting more common. Go for something that you wont really get to drive when you come home. The rx7 is a legendary sports car. Its RWD yes but I have never heard stories of it swopping ends or spinning easily. Treat it with a bit of respect and get to learn the car and you will enjoy it, maybe even taking the odd corner a little too fast to get some oversteer.

Servicing and parts for the rx7 in NZ will not be a problem as its one of many cars they like to tune over there so finding someone with experience in the rotary engine should'nt cause headaches.

And finally, if you get bored of the power and handling, theres LOADS you can do to make it go faster!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼