What has happened The Examiner?

Rugby is no longer seen as elitist. It's marketed throughout now. Makes it a lot more difficult for us real rugby heads to get tickets ;)

If you've any involvement in your local club you'll get tickets.

I don't begrudge the IRFU, its how they make their coin.
Just look at the shambles of the FAI for comparison.

If you've any involvement in your local club you'll get tickets.

I don't begrudge the IRFU, its how they make their coin.
Just look at the shambles of the FAI for comparison.

I don't begrudge the IRFU getting the money in to run the game here. But that's not quite the same as the huge prices being charged now bringing it further and further away from grass roots. As a kid I could afford to go up to Lansdowne Road and see internationals, I also played and followed schools, club, and inter-pro games. They weren't always sold out. But of course there wasn't the well-oiled advertising campaigns we have today. I've been offered tickets to quite a few games (my youngster plays and I am a club member and occasionally help out) but have given up going to Lansdowne Road tbh. Too bloody expensive and as you've seen there are too many people who are "big game hunters" / "eventers" who'd destroy your enjoyment of the match with their ignorance of the game and up-and-down-to-the-bar-and-jacksing anyway.

I don't begrudge the IRFU getting the money in to run the game here. But that's not quite the same as the huge prices being charged now bringing it further and further away from grass roots. As a kid I could afford to go up to Lansdowne Road and see internationals, I also played and followed schools, club, and inter-pro games. They weren't always sold out. But of course there wasn't the well-oiled advertising campaigns we have today. I've been offered tickets to quite a few games (my youngster plays and I am a club member and occasionally help out) but have given up going to Lansdowne Road tbh. Too bloody expensive and as you've seen there are too many people who are "big game hunters" / "eventers" who'd destroy your enjoyment of the match with their ignorance of the game and up-and-down-to-the-bar-and-jacksing anyway.
Schoolboy tickets were sold at a loss and rightly so and you get tickets through your club with a mark-up to support the club.

The IRFU do not even need to advertise due to demand and filled Croke Park 80,000+ for the English & French games while Landsdown Road was being re-developed.

We are bringing 2 juvenile teams up to a game in a few weeks for very little cost and the "grass roots" have also moved with the times since the professional era.

Surprised that there's nearly three times as many doing aerobics/keep fit as hurling/camogie to be honest. Hurling is quite popular albeit not in every county but as many people playing tennis :oops:
Way more kids then adults play Gaelic sports though. As an adult you won't play unless you're part of a team, same for hurling/camogie with less teams.
Golf, jogging, tennis, snooker etc only need two people max.
Even soccer with the popularity of astro and 5 aside is much easier to organise.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 2pm

More events ▼