Walking dogs off the Leash...

Was down in Garryvoe the other day with my two dogs. A Golden Retriever(gentleman of a dog) and a very puppyish sheepdog border collie cross( energetic and somewhat verbal ) The verbosity doesn't last long , she's just bossy.
Beach was quiet and nobody around where I was , so I let them off for a bit. However along came a couple and of course my girl ran up to them. I went to put her back o the leash and apologised for my dog . The husband smiled and nodded but your one was clearly unimpressed. Was mortified and apologised again. They walked on and my dog as per usual had her sniff and stopped.
However I did get a vitriolic lash from the woman about dogs and leads etc and I nodded and held up my leads to show her I had them on the dog now.
Decided to abandon our time at the beach after that as it's just not worth upsetting people.
Have to say was disappointed as the dogs were in their element with their first time at the beach.
Feel a little that your one over-reacted just a tad...another person may have just walked on realising the dog was just young.

the amount of 'people' who are dog haters seems to be increasing rapidly

my sister got so much grief off a dog hatin' fascist that she actually had to move house

when i was a kid everyone i knew had a dog, now it's getting rarer and rarer

:(

dogs are great

the amount of 'people' who are dog haters seems to be increasing rapidly

my sister got so much grief off a dog hatin' fascist that she actually had to move house

when i was a kid everyone i knew had a dog, now it's getting rarer and rarer

:(

dogs are great

That's awful about your sister. Sounds so wrong that someone would be like that. Of course it depends on what your sisters dog was doing. I had my neighbours dog come and crap in my garden every day , but it didn't bother me. Would never have words with a neighbour over something like that. It seems you can't bring your dogs anywhere without being so het up that they might approach the wrong person.
I drove home last Thursday with a heavy heart😒. They didn't even get to enjoy the water.....5mins and I had to leave. Are some people just too politically correct? Life is short I say.

That's awful about your sister. Sounds so wrong that someone would be like that. Of course it depends on what your sisters dog was doing. I had my neighbours dog come and crap in my garden every day , but it didn't bother me. Would never have words with a neighbour over something like that. It seems you can't bring your dogs anywhere without being so het up that they might approach the wrong person.
I drove home last Thursday with a heavy heart��. They didn't even get to enjoy the water.....5mins and I had to leave. Are some people just too politically correct? Life is short I say.

Maybe the woman got a fright from a dog before? For me it's a given that if someone takes their dog to the beach they will leave them off the leash and so long as there is no threat of the dog attacking anyone then I guess non dog owners need to show a little forbearance.

Is Garryvoe beach covered by county council bylaws?

If it isn't then iirc the law is that the dog must be under your control rather than that he must be on a leash.

I keep one of these bad boys on me for when I'm at the beach with smallies. Discreet and compact, I've left it out on a towel with people none the wiser as to what it's for. One guy thought it was for drinking.

pocket-shot-slingshot.jpg

Dog owners, can I have your attention? If you are on the beach and your dog is off the lead, I am going to fire a steel ball bearing at your dog and it will really, really hurt it. And it will be your fault.

pocket-shot-3.jpg

I had my neighbours dog come and crap in my garden every day , but it didn't bother me.

+1

love seeing critters come in to the garden, always feel it's the sign of a healthy garden

we've dogs, cats foxes, tons of birds, bigfoots, Snuffleupaguses, etc, etc coming in, all welcome as far as i'm concerned

Maybe the woman got a fright from a dog before? For me it's a given that if someone takes their dog to the beach they will leave them off the leash and so long as there is no threat of the dog attacking anyone then I guess non dog owners need to show a little forbearance.

yup

i always bring a walking stick with me incase of altercations but never have had to use it yet

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Coldplace - The World's Leading Coldplay Tribute
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

20th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jack L

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼