Training Run Times

70km on the bike today - Castlegregory, Clohane, over the Conor Pass, Dingle, Liss Poil, Annascaul, Camp, and back to Castle. I
Happened upon a Spanish cyclist in Annasaul after the Conor Pass drag, and testosterone being what it is we drove each other on up the 20km climb to Camp with a solid head wind. Averaged 24km/h for the lot with 1460m climbing and a top speed of of 74.8 kph :)

Absolutely bate now, tomorrow will be a light run at best!
That’s good going honky. 74.8 kph 😬

That’s good going honky. 74.8 kph 😬
I was more concerned that a sheep might hop out in front of me than anything TBH.. would have been carnage!

I have Quest Glendalough on Saturday, dont really feel like Ive done a proper training program for it (because I haven't!) but I have been getting out running and cycling, got a good block of work done this weekend. I got the Race Pack and took a better look at it last night.. the climbing is going to be really tough!

Just for reference the climb I would do regularly over Howth is 120m over 4km and the pull up the Conor Pass was 400m vertical over 7.2km.. the first cycle falls somewhere between those 2

Next is a 6km run with 225m vertical but thats a loop so it must be 225m over 3km which sounds horrendous. The Valentia run was 121m vertical over 2.5k and back down, this is close to twice that - surely this will end up with walking?

The long cycle looks fine, 121m over 20km

Stage 4 run is going to be a dog as well, 182m up to the lake over 6km. Im discounting the Kayak bit, just need to sit at the back and find some fella to paddle!

And then finally one last 4km run which has a few hills but relatively flat

Stage 1: Cycle 6km +257m
Stage 2: Run 6km +225m
Stage 3: Cycle 20km +227m
Stage 4: Run 6km +182m
Stage 5: Kayak 1km +0m
Stage 6: Run 4km +46m
Total 43km +937m

To top it all off the forecast is for lashing rain

What the fock am I doing?!

Except it would have been a sheep instead of a photographer!

I started putting to gather the gear for the weekend this morning.. I'm told the running trails are not for fancy running shoes and you end up in the lake with them during the kayak so its an old pair of Nike Pegasus I think - makes the 16km even more daunting!

I went and got one of those emergency tube repair canisters for the bike as well and a new mini pump.. I wouldn't be bothered trying to replace a tube out on the course but if I do puncture that gives me a chance of getting going again on the same tube.

Energy gels purchased as well, haven't even thought of them since the HM last Nov.. they didnt have the ones i used then but c'est la vie

Looking at the weather its a carbon fibre umbrella I need!

It looks like my running future is the short stuff. I'm the weak link in a team marathon in May, but fortunately have the shortest leg at 7.2k. After the recent 10k races (43.57 and 41.40) the aim is to get under 4 mins per km. The other 3 lads will be about 3.30x2 and 3.45. So, if I can get near 3.50 I won't penalise the team by much. As a result, I did a bit of speed work yesterday. Jaysus, I have 5 weeks to get in some kinda shape. Did 6x500 metres......... Not even sure I'll get to Half marathon distance this year even though I'm signed up for Valencia. Body seems to have gone off the longer runs.

And Jimmy, forget your supplements m8. The trick is to train more. Sorry.
Just saw this now.. I'll take your 3.50/4 min kms any day C!

I listen to the runners diary podcast, three cork lads, Some good advice, One of them said with his first marathon he adopted
a strategy of run for 8 minutes, walk 1 minute, He said when he got to the 6 mile mark he was walking, fellas passing him and roaring encouragement
but at the same time they thought he was a goner already, he continued with this strategy all the way and by mile 16 he passed many of those who
had passed him earlier,

I listen to the runners diary podcast, three cork lads, Some good advice, One of them said with his first marathon he adopted
a strategy of run for 8 minutes, walk 1 minute, He said when he got to the 6 mile mark he was walking, fellas passing him and roaring encouragement
but at the same time they thought he was a goner already, he continued with this strategy all the way and by mile 16 he passed many of those who
had passed him earlier,
This lady adopted a similar strategy a few years back if I recall correctly. Loads of people passed her walking and she caught up with an awful lot of them near the end.

Lads, you better believe it. For the majority, a marathon will repay the easy does it approach every time. Now, if you want to beat Smurf's 2.26.... maybe not.

Would that approach work for the fellas who target sub 3, and for whom that is a challenge? Probably not either, but it might. And for anything north of 3.30, for sure. If you have a system and you're consistent and patient, you'll pass many in those last 10k alright.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼