The train to Youghal/Waterford

3166159_559aa59d.jpg

Last train left youghal was a "special" in 1988.

We used spend a few weeks un the summer up in the Hilltop.

Our parents were aware of the train running that day and warned us not to go on the tracks as the tracks were a handy way from going from the caravan park down to perks.

You can see perks big wheel behind the train on the left.

I gave a vague memory of hearing tjis last train go past and the driver giving a large blow on his horn.

How mature.

Yes.

What we have in Ireland is people want motorway roads, rail, buses, high-speed broadband, natural gas, data centres, alternative energy supply,factories and tunnels up and down every remote boreen where it uneconomic to provide it or there simply is not demand.

Even when there is a need like in Athenry somebody objects.

The Cork-Rosslare road needs to be upgraded but it will not happen until after the Cork-Limerick, Ringaskiddy and North Ring Roads are built.

Cities are going to be where all the development will be until 2040

Can anybody here tell us if the rail line to midelton has had a significant positive impact on the town?

Believe if or not the amgen plant that never happened even had its own railway station for workers coming and going from the plant. Amgen could have contributed a lot of money to the railway and even helped fund its continuation to youghal.

Leo is pro Bus so no chance of of IR pulling up next the the beach or ever I'd Say. Shame really

Leo Says:
"I love the railways, I had a train set as a kid. I love the romance of steam engines pulling into the train station but I have to be realistic..... we can’t keep pumping money into the least efficient part of public transport which is the railways,” Mr Varadkar said. “We are getting so much better value for money from Dublin Bus, from Bus Eireann, who have taken pay cuts.”

Yes.

What we have in Ireland is people want motorway roads, rail, buses, high-speed broadband, natural gas, data centres, alternative energy supply,factories and tunnels up and down every remote boreen where it uneconomic to provide it or there simply is not demand.

Even when there is a need like in Athenry somebody objects.

The Cork-Rosslare road needs to be upgraded but it will not happen until after the Cork-Limerick, Ringaskiddy and North Ring Roads are built.

Cities are going to be where all the development will be until 2040

You're simply assuming that everyone stuck in traffic there is a rural dweller living in a one-off house which is quite a leap.

Can anybody here tell us if the rail line to midelton has had a significant positive impact on the town?

Believe if or not the amgen plant that never happened even had its own railway station for workers coming and going from the plant. Amgen could have contributed a lot of money to the railway and even helped fund its continuation to youghal.

I travel from midleton to cork everyday on the train its a great service but
brings no economic boost to midleton, in theory a train line to youghal would boost tourist numbers but that would only be for a few weeks every year,

Screw them.

They chose to live in a semi-rural hellhole.

At least you can escape Midleton by bus or train.

Many of those who bought houses in places like castlemartyr, mallow etc
did so out of being priced out of the market, at least they showed ambition in looking to purchase a house that they could call their own in years to come,
unlike some who demand a council house no more than five doors down from their mam, i know many people who moved to castlemartyr and wouldnt move back to the city if offered,

You're simply assuming that everyone stuck in traffic there is a rural dweller living in a one-off house which is quite a leap.

This is Ireland.

Poor long term planning and shove people into suburban style estates in Catslemartyr and Youghal without the transport infrastructure.

And plenty of one off housing dotted around the rural landscape all supported by the local T.D and councillor.

The ery same politicians then voting on zoning lands for housing and then objecting to the housing on behalf of constituients as there are votes in it a sthe same people actually need houses........but not here.

In fact rip it up and the spend millions re-installing it like the train to Midleton,Luas etc. Cork had an extensive rail/tram network and cars took over as they will have to spend hundreds of millions re-installing it in Cork

Many of those who bought houses in places like castlemartyr, mallow etc
did so out of being priced out of the market, at least they showed ambition in looking to purchase a house that they could call their own in years to come,
unlike some who demand a council house no more than five doors down from their mam, i know many people who moved to castlemartyr and wouldnt move back to the city if offered,

In the last so called "boom" people had no choice but to move to Bweeing, Watergrass Hill etc and get on the property ladder (snakes and ladders as it turned out) which will pay off as they can sell up and move if they are not in negative equity etc. If you are waiting for any Govt. to house you and your family you wil be waiting a very long time.

Move to anywhere on a suburban train line or frequent bus route so that you will have choices.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Ria Lina

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼