The Official Tennis Thread

What a shitshow from the Australian government. Imagine having to live there at the moment, now onder they are losing their collective shit. When to comes to leadership, Scott Morrison makes our Leo look like Winston Churchill.

The five players already in Australia with an exemption must be fearing a knock on the door from the feds, but I'm sure they will fine.

Regardless of what decision they (they now being the Border Force rather than the independent medical experts) make with Djokovic, this tournament has the potential to unravel fairly quickly.

Already 12 positive cases amongst vaccinated players in Melbourne, two weeks before a ball is hit in anger. This is only a couple of weeks after a similar Expo event in Abu Dhabi, where 8 of the 10 players tested positive. If people want to know what a real super-spreader tennis event looks like, check that out and the case numbers in UAE.

Tennis Australia knows that their draw would turn into a farce if they carried out daily testing. So it's only two tests in your first six days after arrival, and then nothing, which makes no sense if public health is your primary concern.
Boo hoo.

Four or five players had to give up their dream of winning a world title at the ally pally, including three times champion MVG.

They had to follow the rules the British government laid down, and the rules their own governing body put down.

Boo hoo.

Four or five players had to give up their dream of winning a world title at the ally pally, including three times champion MVG.

They had to follow the rules the British government laid down, and the rules their own governing body put down.
I assume they tested positive right? Common sense prevailed in that case. There was no vaccine mandate right? Like in the Premier League, the NFL, the NBA, and pretty much ever sporting event on the planet.

Like Cork will play Clare on Saturday in Miltown-Malbay and there will be a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated players sharing an indoor dressing room. No testing, no mandates, maybe an antigen test during the week, tick a box on an app. Wear a mask on your way in and enjoy the game.

This Australian Open, and that Abu Dhabi super spreader are the only sporting events i know that had a strict vaccine mandate. Already there are more cases this year than last year, when they enforced quarantines, had bubles and tested regularly.

This has gone far beyond tennis and even sport here. And any lingering public health concerns.

He was medically cleared to play. Plenty of people I know don't want to be vaccinated. I work with some every day in an office environment, that's their choice. It's not of my business once they socially distance, wear masks, etc.

This a a slippery slope when federal government are over-ruling medical experts. Australia fucked up their Covid policy for two years. The public wanted a scapegoat and their PM saw an opportunity to enhance his public standing.

News now breaking that his visa is cancelled, so that's that.

Once Med wins it out, it's not the end of the world. 21 can wait until Wimbledon. Just hope there is another documentary in the pipeline.

:lol!:

Dry em good.

Last edited:
I assume they tested positive right? Common sense prevailed in that case. There was no vaccine mandate right? Like in the Premier League, the NFL, the NBA, and pretty much ever sporting event on the planet.

Like Cork will play Clare on Saturday in Miltown-Malbay and there will be a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated players sharing an indoor dressing room. No testing, no mandates, maybe an antigen test during the week, tick a box on an app. Wear a mask on your way in and enjoy the game.

This Australian Open, and that Abu Dhabi super spreader are the only sporting events i know that had a strict vaccine mandate. Already there are more cases this year than last year, when they enforced quarantines, had bubles and tested regularly.

This has gone far beyond tennis and even sport here. And any lingering public health concerns.
M8, I'm not an expert on Australian public health policy like your good self.

I just saw the democratically elected Australian Prime Minister say Novak has to follow the same rules as anyone else. If he did that he was welcome to come to his country.

They fucked him out. That tells its own story.

I've also seen lots of Australians come out in favour of it on the news.

Yez are reading this all wrong lads.
This is a human rights abuse that puts the rest of history in the shade.
According to the lad's father anyway.

A synopsis of what actually happened:
Djoko pulled a stroke, but his functionaries make a balls of the paperwork.
Immigration official pulls him up on paperwork.
Craven politician sniffs the way the wind is blowing and makes a grandstanding pronouncement.

Djoko is a wanker, and yer man Morrisson is the same.
We have Serbian friends from Croatia who love him and tell of all the wonderful work he does back home. This is all true but he's still a cheating wanker.

Yer wha ?

I am guessing Novak doesnt care financially or otherwise if any sponsors kick up ?

Serbian by ethnicity, ended up in Croatia after the Yugoslav breakup as a result of the way the border was drawn.
Came to Ireland as refugees, 3 or 4 years in direct provision, now fully participating and contributing to economy.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

24th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼