The Official Man Utd Thread - Part 3.

🚨 Manchester United have confirmed that supporters will be able to exchange their shirts with Mason Greenwood's name emblazoned on the back for free #MUFC

Eh should they not wait for him to have his day in court before they purge all traces of him from the club?

They really missed a trick not signing Chris Wood or bringing Jonathon Greening out of retirement to offset the printing costs.

I'm in no way condoning his alleged actions but it's hard to think of another profession where your employer would get away with this before it was even established that charges were being brought.

They've obviously cleared it with the solicitors but it seems to be jumping the gun somewhat.

I'm in no way condoning his alleged actions but it's hard to think of another profession where your employer would get away with this before it was even established that charges were being brought.

They've obviously cleared it with the solicitors but it seems to be jumping the gun somewhat.
Yanks often have morality clauses in their sponsorship contracts (eg Tiger Woods) so maybe the glazers have it for their players too?

Or maybe the jerseys have nothing to do with his contract.

They really missed a trick not signing Chris Wood or bringing Jonathon Greening out of retirement to offset the printing costs.

I had the exact same thought about those two players.

I'm not proud of that.

Suspending employees with pay is quite common.

It's probably entirely within the club's right to decide what products it offers for sale (and refund) in the club shop. Most likely Greenwood has a decent image rights package in his contract, but it's not tied directly to shirt sales.

There's not a direct equivalent for most other professions. But if, for example, your company used your image (with your consent) on marketing materials like billboards or flyers - they'd be entitled to take those down or swap in someone else at their discretion.

Employers are entitled to run their own internal investigation in parallel with the official police investigation and may decide:

- To take action even before the police investigation & subsequent court case have concluded
- To take action even if the employee is ultimately found not guilty

TBPHWY the jersey refund is small beans and I expect Greenwood will be treated no worse (and most likely better) by his employer than if any of us found ourselves in a similar situation.

Yanks often have morality clauses in their sponsorship contracts (eg Tiger Woods) so maybe the glazers have it for their players too?

Or maybe the jerseys have nothing to do with his contract.

If this does go to court theres every possibility he doesn't get convicted.

After the club and his teammates throwing him under the bus so publicly theres no way back for Greenwood at the club.

If this does go to court theres every possibility he doesn't get convicted.

After the club and his teammates throwing him under the bus so publicly theres no way back for Greenwood at the club.

Look at Paddy Jackson - was found not guilty but will never play for Ireland again or for an Irish side. There are those that would have him never play anywhere in the world again because of what he said in a few texts. Guy does come across as a complete knobhead but harsh punishment to follow him around for ever.

Doubt that he will be but if MG was found not guilty, he too will never play in England again or for any high profile European club for that matter. Only thing that'd save his career would be if the girl was found to have fabricated the whole thing or that it was another lad that did it. Even then, as you say, no way back for him at the club.

Perhaps, but there are likely two factors at play here:

1. The club have additional insight on his behaviour & aspects of the evidence against him and feel that he's a busted flush
2. They'd be on shaky legal ground with any formal action (e.g. fine, tearing up his contract) but this is a low-cost way for them to show that they get the groundswell of bad feeling towards the player within their support base & beyond

They may be doing it out of decency, but either way it's good PR and reduces the chances of the tabloids turning their guns on the club when they run out of content directly related to Greenwood.
🤔
They don't want to copy Liverpool's stupid defence of Luis Suarez either I suppose!đź‰

i can't imagine they've sold tens of thousands of greenwood shirts anyways when they have ronaldo/bruno/cavani/etc at the club so it won't cost them too much in the long run to replace those that were sold

i can't imagine they've sold tens of thousands of greenwood shirts anyways when they have ronaldo/bruno/cavani/etc at the club so it won't cost them too much in the long run to replace those that were sold

His shirt sales are a pittance in overall scheme of things. As you say - a fraction of those of Christy, etc.
Big hit will be effectively losing for nothing and having to replace a young player who was valued in and around the ÂŁ100m mark and the best attacking prospect to come out of the academy in a long time and potentially the best English striker since Harry Kane. In fact Kane was still learning his trade in lower leagues at the age MG is now.

Ridiculous waste of talent - all clubs try and instil correct ethos and some moral code into their academy trainees. They can keep an eye on social media and ear to the ground re rumours locally, etc but they can't be expected to shadow their every move in their private life and once they become young adults, their ability to monitor and direct players is severely reduced.

some young blokes are just thick, its not the clubs fault if some dopey idiot on their books has too much money and time on his hands

i'd have gone completely off the rails (though not rapey one hopes) if i'd access to big bucks when i was 20, god knows i came close enough with the few small bob i did have, lol

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jezahel- Vampires Can't Weld

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼