The Official Liverpool Thread - Part 2

I must hold my hand up and say that I wasn't too enthusiastic about Milner coming off the bench on Saturday

...but he did really well and followed it up with an excellent performance last night

Started off with a rare appearance as a holding midfielder, then moved across well to right-back after the injury to Gomez.

93% passing accuracy. Most key passes & tackles of any player on the pitch. Not bad.

Last summer (and this) I was indifferent around whether he extended his contract or not. He's reportedly on a very chunky wage for a bit-part player. That said, the coaches & players rave about how he's core to keeping standards high in training and professionalism.

Not easy to put a price on that, as we've seen plenty of examples of talented squads who are less than the sum of their parts. If Klopp has taken a calculated view that he's worth it then who are we to argue?

It’s hard for those of us on the outside to fully see the value of Milner to the squad in many aspects. If judging on playing ability alone then you’d think we’d be moving on from him but there’s been enough testaments now to say he’s a hugely influential character.

As seen last night he can step in and perform a very decent level in a number of roles and brings great honesty to the group. Most good clubs have room for 1 or 2 guys like that.

After scans, Liverpool are content that there is no serious damage, and Gomez will be available if called upon against Real Madrid in 10 days time.

Van Dijk was forced off during last weekend’s FA Cup final, along with star attacker Mohamed Salah, but Klopp expects both to feature on the final day of the season against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Speaking ahead of the Southampton game, the Liverpool manager said: “They are both OK. So, the target would be for both that they can be involved again on the weekend. Properly involved, bench or whatever and a few minutes or start, I don’t know, we will see that, because that would then be perfect for the game (Champions League final).

“But if not then we take each day afterwards. But we are very positive, or (have) no doubt about the final. I’m pretty realistic about the Wolves game, but tomorrow rather not.”

Surprisingly good news on Gomez

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Reflux & Friends

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼