The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rents cannot by law be raised by more than 2% per annum in RPZs. Thats not even close to matching inflation.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

Jebus Dan - we all know what way it is supposed to work in the RPZs that cover much of the rental market in this country. The problem is that rents are in fact still increasing much more rapidly even than inflation. That's why the system is broken. Your trying to grasp at "it's only 2% in the RPZs" straw shows it's your the one that doesn't know what he's talking about.

The average monthly rent for new tenancies nationally rose to €1,544 during the first three months of the year.

Figures from the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) show the average cost rose by 2.5 per cent on the last quarter of 2022.

The Rental Index, which specifically looks at new tenancies, includes data from 14,085 new tenancies registered with the RTB in January, February and March this year, which is a decline from 15,336 in the same period of 2022.

The standardised average rent for new tenancies in Dublin was found to be €2,102 during Q1, while it was €1,530 in the Greater Dublin Area (excluding Dublin) and €1,490 in Cork City.

Outside the Greater Dublin Area, the average monthly rent for new tenancies was €1,133.

On a county-by-county basis, Dublin had the highest standardised monthly average (€2,102), while Leitrim had the lowest (€809).

Sixteen out of 26 counties had a monthly average in excess of €1,000, leaving just Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Longford, Mayo, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Tipperary below that threshold.

'Unusually high increase'

Commenting on the figures, Threshold's national advocacy manager Ann-Marie O’Reilly said there has been “an unusually high increase” in rents in some parts of the country post-Covid, even in rent pressure zones.

Speaking to RTÉ radio's News at One, Ms O’Reilly said some landlords are taking the opportunity to increase rents, even though it might not be lawfully permitted.

Properties which have been brought onto the market after being vacant for some time can set “market rent”, she explained, which involves the landlord providing proof of comparable rent in three other properties in the area.

The figures released by the RTB showed rents are continuing to rise, Ms O’Reilly said.

While overall there were indications of moderate increases, these were still high base rents which could mean an increase of €120 “in real money” to people, she added.

Jebus Dan - we all know what way it is supposed to work in the RPZs that cover much of the rental market in this country. The problem is that rents are in fact still increasing much more rapidly even than inflation. That's why the system is broken. Your trying to grasp at "it's only 2% in the RPZs" straw shows it's your the one that doesn't know what he's talking about.

You didnt even read that m8.

Some waffle from a Threshold one is neither here nor there.

The report mentioned states a 2.5 % increase including non RPZ rent? So what?

All of which completely ignores my point that Sinn Fein's three year proposed rental freeze will drive more and more landlords out of the market, thus constricting supply and making it more difficult for people to find a place to live.

Thats a fact, as much as you continue to ignore it.

If a no confidence motion is lost, either a new taoiseach is elected following the vote or the constitution deems that an election has to be held within the following four weeks. They had it within three weeks in 1982 and again in 1992.
I thought that only applies to a motion of confidence in a Taoiseach or the government not a particular minister.

You didnt even read that m8.

Some waffle from a Threshold one is neither here nor there.

The report mentioned states a 2.5 % increase including non RPZ rent? So what?

All of which completely ignores my point that Sinn Fein's three year proposed rental freeze will drive more and more landlords out of the market, thus constricting supply and making it more difficult for people to find a place to live.

Thats a fact, as much as you continue to ignore it.

Jebus wept. Are you really trying to deny that the average new rent in this country has gone up by nearly 9% year on year. We're not talking about rent increases over just a quarter.

At a time when The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose by 6.3% between August 2022 and August 2023,

Nationally, the standardised average rent in newly registered tenancies was €1,544 per month in the first quarter of the year. This is a year-on-year increase of 8.9%.

It's broken under the current mismanagement by FFG Dan. If you want to defend the current sh*t-show and say that SF coming in would make a good system bad then that's up to you. But I think most reasonable people can see the current system is NOT working for people looking for accomodation at a reasonable rent.

Yeah just keep ignoring my point about a 3 year rental freeze.

hOuSiNg Is BrOkEn, so heres a measure that will make it worse. 🙄

Wtf is 'average new rent'?

Yearly rental increases in RPZ cannot be more than 2%. Thats the law. The RTB and the tenant have to be notified in writing four months in advance of any change.

Youre talking through your hole m8.

Yearly rental increases in RPZ cannot be more than 2%. Thats the law. The RTB and the tenant have to be notified in writing four months in advance of any change.

There's plenty of Laws put in place that are circumvented. And as predicted the RPZs are being circumvented (check the stats - they're up on line if you don't believe me) because as ever with FFG, there's very light-touch regulation. You can put the RPZs at any level you like but if they're not being policed and enforced it doesn't matter.

Not all private Landlords are signed up to the RTB btw.

There's plenty of Laws put in place that are circumvented. And as predicted the RPZs are being circumvented (check the stats - they're up on line if you don't believe me) because as ever with FFG, there's very light-touch regulation. You can put the RPZs at any level you like but if they're not being policed and enforced it doesn't matter.

Not all private Landlords are signed up to the RTB btw.

You're making wild claims about existing rental agreement increases above the 2% in RPZs with nothing to back it up.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Much like Sinn Fein and their proposal to freeze all rents for 3 years. Broad brush stroke politics that ignores the constriction of supply that move will push.

I'm in my apartment in town since October 2020.

We've never had a rent increase

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

10th Aug 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼