The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

I was thinking about that last week, however the conclusion I reached was it's not enough to make a particularly massive difference.

RG has barely been a munster player. he's valuable when available but almost never available. With Kleyn coming back over the summer, it's almost like Munster have signed a replacement.
Zebo has been useful while Haley and Campbell injured but there have been times during the season where he's been obviously out of shape. When everyone is fit, he doesn't start.
Joey is a bench player, a good bench player, but one nonetheless.

Frisch is the biggest loss.

At Archer's age, chances are he'll get injured for a decent chunk of next season anyway. Tighthead props are hard to come by, not many are stupid enough to commit to it (says a man who was stupid enough to play tighthead prop for 20+ years...). He would be a big loss on the bench.

So I think the departures weaken Munster's squad depth, but not the first 15 as much as you might think.

I was thinking about that last week, however the conclusion I reached was it's not enough to make a particularly massive difference.

RG has barely been a munster player. he's valuable when available but almost never available. With Kleyn coming back over the summer, it's almost like Munster have signed a replacement.
Zebo has been useful while Haley and Campbell injured but there have been times during the season where he's been obviously out of shape. When everyone is fit, he doesn't start.
Joey is a bench player, a good bench player, but one nonetheless.

Frisch is the biggest loss.

At Archer's age, chances are he'll get injured for a decent chunk of next season anyway. Tighthead props are hard to come by, not many are stupid enough to commit to it (says a man who was stupid enough to play tighthead prop for 20+ years...). He would be a big loss on the bench.

So I think the departures weaken Munster's squad depth, but not the first 15 as much as you might think.
RG probably cost 100k Pee game.

We couldn't offer him a contract

Similar with Joey

Frisch is trebling his wages.

TG we are keeping Nanks.

I hope Liam Coombes can step up. Sean O Brien is a decent player but not much better than Rory Scannell. IMO

RG probably cost 100k Pee game.

We couldn't offer him a contract

Similar with Joey

Frisch is trebling his wages.

TG we are keeping Nanks.

I hope Liam Coombes can step up. Sean O Brien is a decent player but not much better than Rory Scannell. IMO
I'm hopeful, probably to the point of being overly optimistic, that the massively improved skills and attack coaching is going to lead to a better pipeline of home grown players. That said, there's only one centre (Fionn Gibbons) in the Munster academy.
Munster have plenty cover in the centre from players who can play there if needs be, Crowley, Daly, O'Brien.
Frisch is definitely leaving a big hole at outside centre.

Incidentally, there's now 5 props in the academy, albeit only one hooker (Max Clein, was out injured until Feb). Suspect Scott Buckley still does a lot of training with them too.
This time last year, there was only 3 and no hookers.

Would expect a centre or two to be added to the academy next summer, along with another wing. Shay McCarthy was an excellent signing to the academy last August, would expect more alongside him.

I suspect Joey was really quite expensive, and he's admitted himself his heart wasn't in it any more last year.

Serious amount of players leaving :-

RG, Zebo, Joey, Frisch also rumoured that Archer and Jack O Sullivan not getting offered contracts.
Salanoa is really struggling by all accounts and Edogbo is recovering from a 2nd ruptured achilles tendon.

Billy Burns Kilgallon and Tom Farrell coming in. I think we'll need a few more.
No cover at full back.
Jackman seemed to indicate a NIQ back 3 player was pending Zebo's decision so that should progress.

JOS has been given more than enough chances it has to be said.

So far, we've brought in Kilgallon, Burns & Farrell

Not exactly marquee but hopefully they can buy in, benefit from our coaching and systems.

I'd expect 2 more signings

Front Row needs at least one major signing, and Slyman has shown in recent weeks just what he can be when fit - we'll miss that. Don't think Coombs is a second row tbh, but we're relatively well served in the back row.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride Parade
Grand Parade, Cork

4th Aug 2024 @ 2:00 pm
More info..

Last Call

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼