The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

I'm a big fan of Penney. He's been simmering away at Leinster for a whole now but as the tweet rightly says the backlog at Leinster is hampering the players. Will Connors is back now as well. It is abundantly clear that Hodnett is fully deserving of a call up he's been brilliant against Toulouse twice which is a far cry from a disinterested Racing team. It will be interesting to see what is done with the backup options. Penny is the type of flanker that would be highly sought after in France for example. If he's made go to Ulster he might just jump entirely. The big glaring issue that nobody wants to mention is Kleyn overlooked again. It's a repeated smack in the face for a player who's been treated shoddily. I'd say if the wife wasn't Irish he'd have headed off ages ago.

I'm a big fan of Penney. He's been simmering away at Leinster for a whole now but as the tweet rightly says the backlog at Leinster is hampering the players. Will Connors is back now as well. It is abundantly clear that Hodnett is fully deserving of a call up he's been brilliant against Toulouse twice which is a far cry from a disinterested Racing team. It will be interesting to see what is done with the backup options. Penny is the type of flanker that would be highly sought after in France for example. If he's made go to Ulster he might just jump entirely. The big glaring issue that nobody wants to mention is Kleyn overlooked again. It's a repeated smack in the face for a player who's been treated shoddily. I'd say if the wife wasn't Irish he'd have headed off ages ago.
Send players out to other provinces to get game time and experience?

Penny would struggle to get into a Leinster side if they had a big European game next week unless there were injuries in the squad.

Hodnett has been a great player at all levels, he has more game time and experience and if not now when exactly?

Kleyn is a nailed on starter for Munster as he is just so hard working and reliable.

Last edited:
Yeah there's definitely a misstep in the selection of Penney but it's consistent with Conan benching ahead of Coombes too.

The main question mark over Penney is if he can do what he does at European level and do it consistently. Hodnett has shown he can.

Yeah there's definitely a misstep in the selection of Penney but it's consistent with Conan benching ahead of Coombes too.

The main question mark over Penney is if he can do what he does at European level and do it consistently. Hodnett has shown he can.
I can understand why AF has a preference for Leinster Players as they train together in a great system and he's rarely been let down.

But this season Munster have made huge strides in effectively mirroring the Leinster approach. Denis Leamy has stated as much.
Kleyn, Coombes and Hodnett (Saffer and West Cork Mafia lol) are now playing to an exceptional level on intensity and consistency and would be starting for a lot of International Sides. They deserve an opportunity

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼