The mica issue

The vast majority of people want them to be adequately looked after and the problem solved but home owners
need to be realistic as well, Its all very well for people to say write a blank cheque but this is tax payers money,

Agreed.

The public purse cannot be left open to unlimited costs.

Can someone please explain why the taxpayer(me and you)is on the hook for potentially billions here. What about the manufacturer of the dodgy blocks - the builders/ developers who bought/used them - their various insurance companies.

Can someone please explain why the taxpayer(me and you)is on the hook for potentially billions here. What about the manufacturer of the dodgy blocks - the builders/ developers who bought/used them - their various insurance companies.
That is the question many are asking, Many others just say let the government pay up, Ignoring the
fact this is tax payers money,

Frank McBrearty in the Sunday Times saying he doesn't want his €1.2 million house to be left out of the scheme.
McBrearty was on newstalk earlier, He say not alone should primary homes be covered 100% but also holiday
homes, rental properties, garages etc, Ciara Kelly put it to him that the tax payer will probably not see it that way,
McBrearty has a 7000 sqft home worth over a million euro, Somebody text the programme saying the roof, windows,
doors, boiler etc can all be salvaged and reused in these properties, only block work needs replacing,

Latest talk is a cap of 400k to be imposed, beyond generous, there must be a lot of wealthy people in donegal if 400k doesn't cover it,
I listened to their spokesman this morning. He says that while 400K is a headline, as soon as you drill down into the conditions attached to it then nobody will be getting 400K as there are square footage caps as well.

Personally I'm not as upset with the proposal that primary home remediation will be given more priority than holiday homes which also suffered mica damage.

BUT the HUGE issue I think is that, despite knowing that blocks from the source quarry were not fit for purpose, the local council continued to use the quarry to source blocks. :oops:

Now THAT is something that needs serious investigation as a deliberate waste of public funding. Who owned the quarry(s) and who had the say in continuing to source blocks from it after the mica issue was known, as was stated on Morning Ireland this morning.:unsure:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

2nd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

DJ Roscoe

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼