The Hurling Thread

Good league final. Good intensity in it. Badly needed as the league as a whole was poor fare.

Clare have built serious depth. Young Hogan is another Mikey Butler, outstanding corner back play. Thought Quilligan in goals had a fine evening as well. David Fitz, Diarmuid Ryan, Rogers Aidan Mccarthy were all excellent as well. Shane O Donnell was remarkably sharp for a guy playing his first 35 minutes this year. They'll be delighted with the title but worryingly for them they left Kilkenny in it right to the end despite being the far superior outfit out there. I genuinely thought they were going to bottle it yet again. If Eoin Cody's dreadful penalty had sneaked in they probably would have bottled it too.

Kilkenny threw in the towel in last years All Ireland final. They did anything but in last nights game. Despite being outhurled in large patches they hung in there and nearly snuck it.

I think Kilkenny have big issues in that their team is unbalanced. What I mean by that is they have real superstars on the team in Eoin Murphy, Huw Lawlor (poor last night but got no protection from his corner backs or centre back) Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen. They still have TJ Reid and Mikey Butler to come back. They also have really solid players in David Blanchfield and Mossy Keoghan but their issue is that guys like Paddy Deegan, Richie Reid, Billy Ryan, John Donnelly, Luke Hogan, Timmy Clifford just aren't good enough. They lack pace in their backline in my opinon although the return of Butler and possibly Mike Carey would rectify that.

Billy Drennan was the best player in the 2022 U20 championship but his step up to the seniors has been very disappointing for Kilkenny thus far although was injured for last years championship.

They'll easily walk through Leinster but they need all their big guns playing if their to seriously threaten the All Ireland.

Clare with serious momentum now but surely 3 big games in 4 weeks will be a bit much for them?????.
I think John Conlon is after losing a yard of pace over the winter, maybe something for Cork to exploit?

KK were outfought by Clare and lost their discipline as a result. Even with a ref who was prepared to let a lot go, and in the end hand favours to them, KK were still so over the top (around the neck) that he was forced to award a rake of frees to Clare.

Clare were struggling to point from play so that was a gift.

Best thing about this Clare team for me is their ability to win "ruck" ball and always have a runner available so it can be passed fast to a player who runs straight to attack.
Jaysus I hate that it sounds like I'm describing rugby, not that I know much about rugby 😅

Good league final. Good intensity in it. Badly needed as the league as a whole was poor fare.

Clare have built serious depth. Young Hogan is another Mikey Butler, outstanding corner back play. Thought Quilligan in goals had a fine evening as well. David Fitz, Diarmuid Ryan, Rogers Aidan Mccarthy were all excellent as well. Shane O Donnell was remarkably sharp for a guy playing his first 35 minutes this year. They'll be delighted with the title but worryingly for them they left Kilkenny in it right to the end despite being the far superior outfit out there. I genuinely thought they were going to bottle it yet again. If Eoin Cody's dreadful penalty had sneaked in they probably would have bottled it too.

Kilkenny threw in the towel in last years All Ireland final. They did anything but in last nights game. Despite being outhurled in large patches they hung in there and nearly snuck it.

I think Kilkenny have big issues in that their team is unbalanced. What I mean by that is they have real superstars on the team in Eoin Murphy, Huw Lawlor (poor last night but got no protection from his corner backs or centre back) Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen. They still have TJ Reid and Mikey Butler to come back. They also have really solid players in David Blanchfield and Mossy Keoghan but their issue is that guys like Paddy Deegan, Richie Reid, Billy Ryan, John Donnelly, Luke Hogan, Timmy Clifford just aren't good enough. They lack pace in their backline in my opinon although the return of Butler and possibly Mike Carey would rectify that.

Billy Drennan was the best player in the 2022 U20 championship but his step up to the seniors has been very disappointing for Kilkenny thus far although was injured for last years championship.

They'll easily walk through Leinster but they need all their big guns playing if their to seriously threaten the All Ireland.

Clare with serious momentum now but surely 3 big games in 4 weeks will be a bit much for them?????.
I think John Conlon is after losing a yard of pace over the winter, maybe something for Cork to exploit?
Excellent post as always. Agree it was a good game but more so due to the competitiveness that both teams approached it with; in my opinion. I thought quality was lacking esp in first half shooting. The pitch may have contributed to this, perhaps understandably due to recent weather, it looked v poor.

Clare have built nice depth and play with great heart and determination. They maximise all they have. I think that says a lot both about the players and the wider backroom collective.

I think you may have touched on something interesting re 3 big games in 4 weeks. Definitely an opportunity for cork. But only if we approach the game as Clare approached theirs last night. If I were Lohan I wouldn’t have let the trophy out of the dressing room last night and saying that summer started as soon as the final whistle went.

Interesting times ahead.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

29th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼