The Hurling Thread

That was the worst Tipp display that I have seen in years. It is one thing to play a dummy hand, but that did not seem to be the case today. It would have suited Tipp, more than Clare, to progress to the NHL final as they have an extra week before the C'ship.

That was the worst Tipp display that I have seen in years. It is one thing to play a dummy hand, but that did not seem to be the case today. It would have suited Tipp, more than Clare, to progress to the NHL final as they have an extra week before the C'ship.
They were pretty poor alright, and as you say they have the first week of championship off so they were more at liberty to really go for it. Even when they came back after HT, Clare were able to pull away without too much bother.

Clare looked like a well drilled team again today while Tipperary seem to be a lot less cohesive, a bit like ourselves, that team play only comes from years of playing as a unit so it’s imperative we have a good tactical plan, play a high tempo crisp hurling game with a manic workrate and pick a physical middle 8 with 3 finishers up front. But the Clare and Limerick games are just as important as the Waterford and Tipperary games. It’s all to play for

Last edited:
I thought that was another poor game today lads. Again lots of fumbling, lots of frees and lots of wides.

Tipp were absolutely atrocious. Yesterday it was obvious from a long way out that Limerick were disinterested, you couldn't say the same about Tipp. Cahill and Bevans looked very perplexed there towards the end. Their shooting was chronic altogether and Clare physically bullied them I thought.

Clare well deserving of their win but again they didn't exactly set the world ablaze either. I think John Conlon has lost a little bit of pace. Something for Cork to exploit I hope.

I'll get lambasted for this but I still think the split season isn't working out. I say this as a club man who goes to dozens of club games a year but I think the scheduling of the inter county game is taking from the quality of our product. The last few seasons have given us leagues low in quality and this year was no different. I felt the Clare v Kilkenny and Cork V Kilkenny games this spring were the only two games that were in anyway half decent. Rest of the games were fairly dull.

I think a lot of it is to do with the schedule. Obviously teams have 1 eye on the championship but also the two worst months of the year weather wise are January and February and there we are cramming games into these months. It does nothing for us. I thought the cancellation of the Muster league this year was a poor look, I understand its in the lap of the gods regarding weather but to say the competition couldn't be refixed only further illustrated to me that the split season is too congested.

Add to that that the majority of the league is now in direct competition with the rugby 6 nations as well as the paltry coverage it gets in comparison to the football and I think hurling is struggling big time. If I was a promotional officer with Allianz I wouldn't be happy with the fare and coverage being offered up in the hurling league in recent years.

The Munster championship kicks off in 4 weeks time. It will be a blockbuster, must see competition and will no doubt paper over the cracks but they will still be there.

I don't know what the answer is, I just know I'd rather the whole season be pushed back 6 or 7 weeks.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Hollyz
Crane Lane Theatre, Phoenix St.

5th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼