The Hurling Thread

It’s entirely subjective really I feel.

Limerick are clearly one of, if not the best team to play the game and have brought it to a level we’ve never seen, have won multiple all Irelands deservedly so and probably will win more with an incredible team of serious players.

But I do find myself bored an awful lot watching them, not always (Clare lasting with them to an extent for example), but what they do they do so well and so effectively that it can often kill games from a pure entertainment perspective as it becomes predictable (last night being a prime example). Similarly it’s almost seeped into the psyche of other teams in the championship and everyone is building towards trying to peak for Limerick.

Like I said, it’s subjective, but from an entertainment perspective I’ve enjoyed the football championship slightly more over the past few seasons as there’s more of a chaos factor or something.

It’s entirely subjective really I feel.

Limerick are clearly one of, if not the best team to play the game and have brought it to a level we’ve never seen, have won multiple all Irelands deservedly so and probably will win more with an incredible team of serious players.

But I do find myself bored an awful lot watching them, not always (Clare lasting with them to an extent for example), but what they do they do so well and so effectively that it can often kill games from a pure entertainment perspective as it becomes predictable (last night being a prime example). Similarly it’s almost seeped into the psyche of other teams in the championship and everyone is building towards trying to peak for Limerick.

Like I said, it’s subjective, but from an entertainment perspective I’ve enjoyed the football championship slightly more over the past few seasons as there’s more of a chaos factor or something.
There is a lot of crazy things said on the hurling thread but as for the football being more exciting lately? 😂😂😂😂😂

There is a lot of crazy things said on the hurling thread but as for the football being more exciting lately? 😂😂😂😂😂
The vast majority of people agree with Patman..
Viewing figures, match attendances, sponsorship money, playing numbers, participation are just at a different level and speak for themselves.
Even the Sunday game coverage has been massively impacted.
Hurling is in crisis..one of the few sports with playing numbers dropping. The good hurling people know this and are crying out that the game needs help..

Hurling is in a fairly good place. Crowds have never been better for the Championship round Robin. Viewing figures are good and the Standard is high. There are issues with the tackle and handpass but last nights game was excellent. Gaelic football is not a good game to watch and its numbers are stagnating. No tourist wants to watch more than 5 minutes of it in marked contrast to hurling.

Nobody's suggesting banning anything Limerick are doing.

People are simply suggesting the game goes back to basics in terms of rules.

The rucks and huge scores are due to the lack of opportunity for defenders to tackle, due to the player in posession breaking the rules.

The rule is 4 steps. 4. Four. It's very, very few steps. There's a reason why the limit was set at 4 steps. Because there is zero skill involved in running 12 or 13 steps past 2 defenders then throwing the ball.
There is a huge amount of skill, however, needed to solo past defenders with the sliotar on the hurley. That is what the game was intended to be as it evolved from a game of ground hurling 60/70 years ago.

The 4 steps rule was brought in simply to allow a player have it in his hand for the minimum amount of time. Thus preserving all the skill needed, to play without the Sliotar in hand.

And, crucially, 4 steps gives a defender an opportunity.
Defenders have zero-opportunity these days to sweep a ball from off the hurl of an attacker solo-ing through. Another key skill of the game. An art, that is gone.
So defenders have no other option but to go with holding, grappling, clothes-lining, rugby-tackling, mauling, rucking, etc.
It's a heap of shit.

Another glorious skill you never see anymore is a player solo-ing through and taking his point straight from the hurley without catching it first.
Attackers don't need to do this anymore. They can get the sliotar into hand and then take the 10+ steps they need to get into the space to shoot.

Hurling as a spectacle is regressing.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders!

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼