The Hurling Thread

Hurling has always up against that that due to the ease and simple process of playing football. There is very little skill needed as pointed out by skehill on otb as a sport that needs two skills. The two skills imo is being a bogger and looking like Paul mescal will suffice. Coverage is down to dublin based media and Dublin success over the years that of course football will Dominate the Sunday game. As for attendances. There will be more at the Munster final this year than a dubs Leinster final in cp. Finally as Spillane once said. There are only about 5 or 6 teams that can win an hurling all Ireland but there is only 2 or 3 that can win a football all Ireland.

It’s entirely subjective really I feel.

Limerick are clearly one of, if not the best team to play the game and have brought it to a level we’ve never seen, have won multiple all Irelands deservedly so and probably will win more with an incredible team of serious players.

But I do find myself bored an awful lot watching them, not always (Clare lasting with them to an extent for example), but what they do they do so well and so effectively that it can often kill games from a pure entertainment perspective as it becomes predictable (last night being a prime example). Similarly it’s almost seeped into the psyche of other teams in the championship and everyone is building towards trying to peak for Limerick.

Like I said, it’s subjective, but from an entertainment perspective I’ve enjoyed the football championship slightly more over the past few seasons as there’s more of a chaos factor or something.
Were you entertained by today's offering Pat?

Absolute dross

Were you entertained by today's offering Pat?

Absolute dross
Nope, was a very poor game with a severe lack of intensity and Cork never really threatened to come back to Kilkenny after they got an early lead, standard of hurling on display was much better in the Limerick-Tipp game last night I felt.

Would consider both games boring for the most part, though for entirely different reasons.

Couldn’t make any Cork games this weekend due to family commitments but caught the Galway-Kerry game on telly earlier and enjoyed it much more than either of the hurling games personally.

Much is said about last year with out lynch and Casey. What about the previous year ? They lost 2/3 of their full back line to cruicates before the championship. Put morrisey and Nash back there and they conceded even less goals in the championship. With 100 % available this year there is going to be some big names on the bench.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼