The Hurling Thread

If you want to make changes to try and improve the game of hurling . 2 things should be considered
1.A puckout must cross the 45 metre line
2. Change the Sliotar . These days players score from 100 yards regularly.
There was nothing wrong in the days of 16 points to .14 🤔

This will just mean the defending team will have every man back beyond the 45 waiting for this puckout if there's only one option. Absolute carnage and will add to the rucks.

Hmmm.....or.....could just apply the rules as they are.....you seem to not want players to control the ball and no sanction for technical fouling when let's face it, every free is practically a point precisely as a deterrent to doing it. 20 secs for a free? Bleep, play has to stop.....3 or 4 secs if a guy has ball in hand or on a solo run......another 3-5 secs for ref and linesman to agree free place....if a tick or black or yellow or heaven forbid a red, another 20 secs.....let alone the arguing.....then you want the nearest player to just hit it without gauging wind or positioning himself over the ball to line up the free another 5 to 10 secs
I don't know how you got the impression that I don't want players controlling the ball in open play - my only suggestion is that during a clash ball the ball must be pilled on.
I also didn't propose no sanction for technical fouls - I suggested an indirect free as an appropriate sanction - because I believe that direct frees that result in a point in c.a. 85% of cases is too high of a punishment for overcarrying and throw passes when those decisions are often very marginal.

Take for instance the one Cork conceded against Clare when Tommy O Connell was blown for throwing a pass to Niall O Leary, Cork had an overlap on the Clare 45 - and would have expected to score a point - maybe work an opportunity for a goal - instead Clare got a free, that I think TK scored from, so there was a 2 point swing, for a very marginal call. Put it this way; it's more then the punishment given for badly performed tackles

And obviously if there are injuries, yellow cards, etc. the 20 sec time doesn't start until the ref indicates the free can be taken

1.A puckout must cross the 45 metre line
2. Change the Sliotar . These days players score from 100 yards regularly.
For the Puck out - you'd have to also have a rule where 6 players from each team have to stay behind the 45 also or else you'd just get a huge amount of bunching.
The sliotar one is interesting - I don't see why there isn't an effort made to enforce the rules around hurley dimension's - the rules exist and are blatantly disregarded by everyone - so either enforce it or scrub it from the rule book.
On the same note there are very strict regulations around helmets - that are never enforced - I often wonder that ,god forbid , if someone had a bad facial injury while they were wearing a modified helmet, if the insurance scheme would pay out.

Thanks for the feedback though - next week, championship structures....

On the same note there are very strict regulations around helmets - that are never enforced - I often wonder that ,god forbid , if someone had a bad facial injury while they were wearing a modified helmet, if the insurance scheme would pay out.

Have to agree with this. Thought maybe after that young girl died in Galway last month or so that there would've been more said about it but doesn't seem to have been.

Very little padding in the "new" cooper remakes doing the rounds and weak plastic. Even the old ones are bad, and the modifying of the guards on the Mycros are a hazard as well.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼