The Gaelic Football Thread

Surprised at Louth beating Meath, so handy. Good to see the wee county doing so well.

However, I hate this current format, so many meaningless games, with a punching bag in every group, making most of the games no more than challenge fixtures. Never have so many games been played, by so many for so little.
Agreed it should only be two from each group going forward

Surprised at Louth beating Meath, so handy. Good to see the wee county doing so well.

However, I hate this current format, so many meaningless games, with a punching bag in every group, making most of the games no more than challenge fixtures. Never have so many games been played, by so many for so little.
Delighted for O'Rourke

Agreed it should only be two from each group going forward
Definitely but when this initially came in as the Super 8’s, it led to a few games being dead rubbers in the last round. But now what we’ve got is there is no real actual dead rubber as such but there’s only a few games that have a knockout feel it, like Cork V Clare last week.

I am not sure what the solution is to prevent dead rubbers but 2 going through from 4 definitely creates far more jeopardy. Also there should be 3 points for a win rather than 2.

In fairness to this format, firstly last year ended up with the vast majority of teams having an interest in the last day and this may still occur. Secondly in the world of gaaa politics, because the provincial councils are in effect organisational terrorists any change has to be incremental and conservative, I would think after next year this will become 2 from 4 which still won’t remove the dead rubbers which always occur in group games.
What the gaaa might do at least is get Dublin back playing in Parnell park, quite clear they don’t have the genuine support base to allow them keep croke park as their home

What the gaaa might do at least is get Dublin back playing in Parnell park, quite clear they don’t have the genuine support base to allow them keep croke park as their home
Genuine question, would the fa cup final yesterday have impacted the attendance? Regardless though, 15,000 is woeful.

Hate hate hate hate this format, not interested in one game this weekend

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Sarah Lou

Arty's Bar, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼