The Gaelic Football Thread

Good game. Galway left nothing out there. Could be a better era of football coming. Kerry and Galway won’t be far away. Dublin will improve again. Derry and Armagh are on the up. Mayo and Tyrone will be in a bit of transition but have plenty of underage talent. And there’s a place at the table for Cork and Kildare as well.
I think we might need a bigger table.

Pawrig Joyce absolutely livid over the dodgy free.

"To me, the most important and crucial part of the game is how they got a free when the game was 16 points apiece. I couldn’t get over it."

For Joyce, there is no doubt the free represented a huge swing in momentum.

"Those frees are like tap-overs for the likes of Clifford. It was a two-point swing for us, we had the momentum at that stage."

Asked for his assessment of the incident, the Galway boss was blunt, first asserting that Damien Comer should have been given a free following his turnover in the lead-up.

"My view of it was that Kerry were attacking, Damien Comer won the ball back, went down to gather the ball and he was pushed on the ground - in the back. To me, that was a free out. So, that was the first one missed.

"It came back to John Daly. He tried to go around his man, Killian Spillane tried to tackle him, his hand went up. The reason John put his hand up was to stop the Kerry fella's hand going around his neck, which is what happened. That was my view from the sideline.

"But you are up on the seventh floor, what did you think of it?"

Cue some hesitant murmuring from the reporters about it being a "soft free".

"A soft free, was it even a free?" replied Joyce swiftly, somewhat dissatisfied with the reply.

"We tried to get the game to where it went down the stretch, where it was level, but again that decision that was made at 16 points apiece was baffling. Key turning point in the game."

It was a free I’m afraid as the Galway man clearly held spillanes hand. Padraig would be better off looking at the lack of depth on his panel, the lack of ball into comer and his goalkeeper…. But that’s unfair as it’s unfair to claim a free like that turned the game. Kerry were the better team, their bench was much stronger and they deserved the win, they set their bench out from Januar- no messing, win every game and pick your best team. Next year their kryptonite in Tyrone will be back and others like Armagh, Dublin and even mayo should be better and aren’t scared of them. Maybe, just Maybe the penny will drop in cork gaa…….winning teams try to win every game regardless of competition and are ruthless with opposition and players

Pawrig Joyce absolutely livid over the dodgy free.

"To me, the most important and crucial part of the game is how they got a free when the game was 16 points apiece. I couldn’t get over it."

For Joyce, there is no doubt the free represented a huge swing in momentum.

"Those frees are like tap-overs for the likes of Clifford. It was a two-point swing for us, we had the momentum at that stage."

Asked for his assessment of the incident, the Galway boss was blunt, first asserting that Damien Comer should have been given a free following his turnover in the lead-up.

"My view of it was that Kerry were attacking, Damien Comer won the ball back, went down to gather the ball and he was pushed on the ground - in the back. To me, that was a free out. So, that was the first one missed.

"It came back to John Daly. He tried to go around his man, Killian Spillane tried to tackle him, his hand went up. The reason John put his hand up was to stop the Kerry fella's hand going around his neck, which is what happened. That was my view from the sideline.

"But you are up on the seventh floor, what did you think of it?"

Cue some hesitant murmuring from the reporters about it being a "soft free".

"A soft free, was it even a free?" replied Joyce swiftly, somewhat dissatisfied with the reply.

"We tried to get the game to where it went down the stretch, where it was level, but again that decision that was made at 16 points apiece was baffling. Key turning point in the game."

Not a happy camper

Erra Kerry used the bench well

Galway still had their chances but were wasteful when the pressure was on.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

31st Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Brgeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼