The English Market appreciation thread

Jesus is that place still going?

Fair play to them I remember buying xworx jeans of them in the early 90’s

Sure is, in amongst fellow artisan offerings such as On the Pigs Back and The Pie Guys.

The Pie Guys which is absolutely unbelievable btw. They often sell out so you need to get there early.

I wish Grliolladh would open in the city centre but probably better for everyone's health that they haven't. They're going into the Marina Market and Douglas Market.

Sure is, in amongst fellow artisan offerings such as On the Pigs Back and The Pie Guys.

The Pie Guys which is absolutely unbelievable btw. They often sell out so you need to get there early.

I wish Grliolladh would open in the city centre but probably better for everyone's health that they haven't. They're going into the Marina Market and Douglas Market.

I had one of those sandwiches last week in the MM, they’re incredible but not cheap, 10 quid is saucy

Went in there for some beef mince, which you'd think would be easy to find a food market wouldn't you?

Only one place had it, Tom Durcan, who I try and avoid due to his mental prices.

And yep they are mental. €8.20 for 500g of minced beef. Ffs.

Went in there for some beef mince, which you'd think would be easy to find a food market wouldn't you?

Only one place had it, Tom Durcan, who I try and avoid due to his mental prices.

And yep they are mental. €8.20 for 500g of minced beef. Ffs.
Like, you want to support the market & local traders but they don't make it easy for you.

Now to be fair you can't compare them to the big super markets that have huge buying power to offer lower prices.

Most overrated kip in Ireland.
Grubby, overpriced, and not a great selection.
Only daycint shop is the seafood place that's on Young Offenders and also the Rave Cave.

Like, you want to support the market & local traders but they don't make it easy for you.

Now to be fair you can't compare them to the big super markets that have huge buying power to offer lower prices.

Yep I'm a big fan of the market and love the idea of supporting local producers, but as you say some of them make it very difficult.

Durcan is very expensive, as is Pat O'Connell. I bought smoked salmon off him a while back and couldn't get over the price. I get it from Ballycotton now instead.

On the Pigs Back is nice but again you'll come away with far emptier pockets after buying anything there.

I like the sandwich stall but you're looking st €7.50 for a cold take away sandwich. Madness.

The biggest pisstakers of all are Maki Sushi Rolls. A SMALL poke bowl, to take away, is €13.50. A large one is €16.50 I think. And it'd be one thing if it felt like value, but they're so tight with the portions. You get a tiny bit of fish, generally only 1 or 2 small scoops. If I'm paying €16.50 I want a fair bit of fish.

Some places are great value then. Chicken Inn, Tom Bradley Bacon, Coffee Central, O'Flynns Gourmet Sausages, Superfruit, and a few more.

Yep I'm a big fan of the market and love the idea of supporting local producers, but as you say some of them make it very difficult.

Durcan is very expensive, as is Pat O'Connell. I bought smoked salmon off him a while back and couldn't get over the price. I get it from Ballycotton now instead.

On the Pigs Back is nice but again you'll come away with far emptier pockets after buying anything there.

I like the sandwich stall but you're looking st €7.50 for a cold take away sandwich. Madness.

The biggest pisstakers of all are Maki Sushi Rolls. A SMALL poke bowl, to take away, is €13.50. A large one is €16.50 I think. And it'd be one thing if it felt like value, but they're so tight with the portions. You get a tiny bit of fish, generally only 1 or 2 small scoops. If I'm paying €16.50 I want a fair bit of fish.

Some places are great value then. Chicken Inn, Tom Bradley Bacon, Coffee Central, O'Flynns Gourmet Sausages, Superfruit, and a few more.
I'd be very slow to support A British monarchy sycophant like POC.

Superfruit is a great shop, the quality of the fresh fruit and veg is the best around.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Complete Madness Ireland

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 4pm

More events ▼