The days of cheap drink are coming to end..

Took advantage of this great offer in Sam's Gala this morning. Also bought a sliced pan as I needed bread. Left my plastic glasses behind as I've a head like a sieve. Everything being done above board, credit note received and exchanged. I was torn between the slab of cans and the mop. All credit to the shop owner, running his store as he sees fit. Long may he run.

Gala deserve to be boycotted for pulling a stunt like that, I hope they suffer a huge backlash as a result, sticking two fingers to a measure which is intended, however flawed, to be for the good of the public health is a very cynical ploy.

When I hear people droning on about the "nanny state" I am reminded of Trumpists, anti-vaxxers, Tories, Brexiteers, climate change deniers and other assorted low energy losers.(n)
No doubt they will be pulled up for this novel plan. This is nothing to do with public health and just another stealth tax.

I am all for something meaningful being done with regard to investment in real measures that will do something to help the scourge of alcoholism/addiction/mental health but unfortunately the drinks lobby is too powerful in Ireland and will never happen.

I am all for something meaningful being done with regard to investment in real measures that will do something to help the scourge of alcoholism/addiction/mental health but unfortunately the drinks lobby is too powerful in Ireland and will never happen.
Why would any Govt. across the globe introduce any unpopular "stealth tax" like this to pull in a small amount of money when they are being lobbied for decades by the medical profession to use this measure as one element along with addiction services to help tackle the scourge of alcoholism and get savings in the health services down the line from hopefully less victims of alcoholism that has destroyed individuals and families?

Smoking is being socially excluded and priced out of existence over the past number of years for example so health outcomes should improve down the line.

Why would any Govt. across the globe introduce any unpopular "stealth tax" like this to pull in a small amount of money when they are being lobbied for decades by the medical profession to use this measure as one element along with addiction services to help tackle the scourge of alcoholism and get savings in the health services down the line from hopefully less victims of alcoholism that has destroyed individuals and families?

Smoking is being socially excluded and priced out of existence over the past number of years for example so health outcomes should improve down the line.
As a recovered alcoholic i am all for any meaningful methods that would help, in the end the alcoholic has the factor of choice removed from their decision making process, Trips across the border and Home brews will skyrocket due to the increased pricing or in many situations children’s clothes or food etc will be sacrificed.

I am not sure to be honest how much the extra cash will bring in reality to the state but I am sure the cash will not be spent on meaningful social expenditure that would actually tackle the crux of addiction.

All the so called action items by the Government on Social care/mental health/addiction are Just tokens that do squat diddly to tackle the crux of the problem. Alcohol is a cheap and easy Temporary solution for deeper problems until the temporary solution stops working, then it’s a spiral to the bottom of hell.

All the so called action items by the Government on Social care/mental health/addiction are Just tokens that do squat diddly to tackle the crux of the problem. Alcohol is a cheap and easy Temporary solution for deeper problems until the temporary solution stops working, then it’s a spiral to the bottom of hell.

So is alcoholics anonymous and that is a free successful service.

This is one of the issues that they are addressing as the sight of alcoholics/addicts shuffling around cities and towns etc with a can of cheap larger abusing themselves and clearly in pain is a distressing sight and an inevitable drag on our health service and societal fabric.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Toucan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼