The Action Plan for Housing.

You'd have to think there are plenty within SF who are disgusted by what O'Broin did yesterday.

You'd hope there are anyway. It would be very concerning if a party which wants to serve in government would support such an attack on our police force.
There is a good chance sf may have picked some votes from gardai based on housing promises, but this will make some think again.

You'd have to think there are plenty within SF who are disgusted by what O'Broin did yesterday.

You'd hope there are anyway. It would be very concerning if a party which wants to serve in government would support such an attack on our police force.
MOE, I feel you have a perhaps illusions there with regard to that organisation, they have a much much lower standard of disgust than most, I doubt it very much if anyone in that organisation is disgusted.

As regards an attack on our police force, they used to shoot and bomb The Gardai up to not so long ago, so they would not see it as an attack.

You overestimate them I think.

SF/IRA = Scum

There are 2 parts to this.

It is art where photos of Gardaí involvement in evictions has been reproduced in a 19th century setting. And there are multiple instances of photographic and video evidence of Gardaí watching evictions or facilitating forced evictions by heavy handed individuals. So as art, it's making a point and while Gardaí are obviously present to keep the peace and not to enforce the eviction themselves, unlike the RIC of old, the image is powerful in the context of the homelessness crisis and the eviction ban being lifted and I don't think it should have been lifted.

The second part is the politics of it. O'Broin is to housing as Ryan is to climate. A lightning rod for ideology over pragmatism. I don't think Ó Broin was going for the SF critical of AGS angle. But he sure as hell knew that's the inference that would be drawn.

Personally I think it's hilarious that his tweet of art drew more "offence" than the "free sweets for children" from Cowen. People are using the usual attack on SF to deflect from the reality of the failure to deal with homelessness and housing over a decade. Let's not lose sight of the fact we are talking about people being kicked out of homes where they have paid rent without issue now too, including the elderly and children.

That that is not the offence being taken more than the Ó Broin tweet says a lot about our politics.

FG FF + will be the next government. Based on the Ireland Thinks poll, SF would have to get 37% and FG FF drop to a combined 35, for there to be any chance of an SF government. People can hate SF all they want and scream SF IRA all they want although at some point the efficacy of that single line of attack will become counter productive.

Multi Dáil issue doesn't excuse the crisis we are in. Lifting the eviction ban gained no political capital with the majority of the country and as such was unnecessary. Ó Broin being the housing nut that he is played right into the government hands by creating the open goal which has taken over the news cycle.

We need to fix the fact we have 12000+ men women and children homeless. The eviction ban didn't stop homelessness increasing per Hank, but you can be sure it kept a control on it ballooning until now.

At some point we need to address our systemic issues, using the SF IRA deflection will only last so far for those squeezed out of the property ladder or their rental home.
SF/IRA are the same bloody thing, hence my constant reference to same

Please do not be so foolish to think otherwise

The Attorney General advised the Government with regard to this eviction ban.

The private sector have no business in the responsibility of social housing and it never should have been in such a position

SF/IRA are the same bloody thing, hence my constant reference to same

Please do not be so foolish to think otherwise

The Attorney General advised the Government with regard to this eviction ban.

The private sector have no business in the responsibility of social housing and it never should have been in such a position
I wasn't referring to you at all.
I didn't say it was illegal, I said it shouldn't have been lifted.
That you think this is private sector v social housing provision as if it was a have/have not thing is the problem. It is a national crisis and needs to be addressed as such - the pearl clutching about a tweet from SF to deflect from the impotence of government to deal with it is a sad reflection of our politics. Tiktok/twitter v actually governing.

I wasn't referring to you at all.
I didn't say it was illegal, I said it shouldn't have been lifted.
That you think this is private sector v social housing provision as if it was a have/have not thing is the problem. It is a national crisis and needs to be addressed as such - the pearl clutching about a tweet from SF to deflect from the impotence of government to deal with it is a sad reflection of our politics. Tiktok/twitter v actually governing.
So you have no issues whatsoever with that little man posting that up ?

Wronging Gardai

Here read this ;

Missing the point my bolox, the Gardai he based it on were acting on a court order.

Gardai do not evict people unless instructed to do so by the courts

Obviously those in Connolly House Hellfast are feeling SF/IRA down here are not getting enough capital out of the crisis so now they have to grasp at straws and present lies to idiots

So you have no issues whatsoever with that little man posting that up ?

Wronging Gardai

Here read this ;

Missing the point my bolox, the Gardai he based it on were acting on a court order.

Gardai do not evict people unless instructed to do so by the courts

Obviously those in Connolly House Hellfast are feeling SF/IRA down here are not getting enough capital out of the crisis so now they have to grasp at straws and present lies to idiots
Now read my post.
It is art being used to raise funds for homelessness charities.

I specifically said the Gardaí were there to keep the peace and not to enforce the evictions themselves.

I also said the image is powerful in the context of the homelessness crisis and the eviction ban being lifted and I don't think it should have been lifted.

And if you read the rest of my post you'll see I'm actually critical of Ó Broin because he's given the news cycle as a free hit to those who claim it's about SF and AGS when in fact the art isn't his at all.

Point being what are we talking about - the Ó Broin tweet and not the homelessness/housing crisis. Government off the hook for free.

Now read my post.
It is art being used to raise funds for homelessness charities.

I specifically said the Gardaí were there to keep the peace and not to enforce the evictions themselves.

I also said the image is powerful in the context of the homelessness crisis and the eviction ban being lifted and I don't think it should have been lifted.

And if you read the rest of my post you'll see I'm actually critical of Ó Broin because he's given the news cycle as a free hit to those who claim it's about SF and AGS when in fact the art isn't his at all.

Point being what are we talking about - the Ó Broin tweet and not the homelessness/housing crisis. Government off the hook for free.
I did read your post, I find it strange from the get go that you say you were not referring to me when I am the one who started the whole SF/IRA thing.

Anyway you are bright enough to know the Garda duty in regard to evictions in general and that is, for the sake of keeping the peace
But the brain less scum in and who support SF/IRA will see the simplistic image of that art work and they will see it, just as those who run SF/IRA want them to see it, which is the dreaded upper class English landlords evicting the poor Irish tenants with the assistance of the RIC.

You and many others of course have your opinion on the lifting of the eviction ban, but as I said, I believe the Government is acting on advice from the Attorney General, which could be the fear of a class action or something like that against the state of it continued.

If SF/IRA have, pardon the pun, shot themselves in the foot here, then I am delighted for them.

SF/IRA = Scum

I despair of this ever been solved, for every solution put forward there are three barriers at least, sindo poll seems to have country split on ending the ban,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Cork/Brittany maritime Residency Exhibition

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼