Tax on foreign earnings?

Was just talking to a buddy of mine, a friend of his flew into dublin airport last week after 2 years away in australia and was questioned. He mentioned that he was working and the lads asked for his bank statements..appearently they taxed what he had in his account. This surprised me, surely you cant be taxed in Ireland on money earned abroad? Is this a new thing or something always in place that I have never heard of?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Certainly have never heard of this. You can't be taxed twice on your earnings. You can be taxed if you bring over a certain amount into the country (i think) in cash, but that was his bank account.

Why was he even questioned if he has an irish passport? How can they question a citizen just flying home?
You sure about this story?

Was just talking to a buddy of mine, a friend of his flew into dublin airport last week after 2 years away in australia and was questioned. He mentioned that he was working and the lads asked for his bank statements..appearently they taxed what he had in his account. This surprised me, surely you cant be taxed in Ireland on money earned abroad? Is this a new thing or something always in place that I have never heard of?

Can anyone shed light on this?

If he was transferring money earned from oz into an Irish account then he should have made a tax declaration in Ireland because he is liable to tax on interest earned on any savings/dividends(even the credit union acc)/investments/shares in Irish financial institutions.

I have to do that, to maintain my tax clearance in Ireland.

Literally just heard it, my friend is pretty copped on and would have no reason to make it up etc..

It surprised me as ive been abroad working myself and never seen or heard anything like this before

If he was transferring money earned from oz into an Irish account then he should have made a tax declaration in Ireland because he is liable to tax on interest earned on any savings/dividends(even the credit union acc)/investments/shares in Irish financial institutions.

I have to do that, to maintain my tax clearance in Ireland.

Maybe that was the case, cheers!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Crash Test Dummies
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼