Smart electrical grids

Any folks on here know much about them? i have a little project I need to do on them and I'm trying to find out what's the story on the use of them in the UK and Ireland.

Is there legislation or are ESB planning to do anything with them?

Probably not the right place for it, but what the hell.

Naw I know nothing of them.

I am certainly not the man you want to be speaking to about them "thing-ies"
Good man.

Tell us if you hear anything though, willya?
Your bus timetable ideas made a lot more sense.
Timetables make a lot of sense.

Unless they're pointless, then there's little sense in using them.

It's not my idea, it's something that's supposedly being pushed hard by the Obama administration and the UK is looking to implement it, however I'm finding it difficult to get many concrete details on the scheme in the UK.

Good man.

Tell us if you hear anything though, willya?
Timetables make a lot of sense.

Unless they're pointless, then there's little sense in using them.

It's not my idea, it's something that's supposedly being pushed hard by the Obama administration and the UK is looking to implement it, however I'm finding it difficult to get many concrete details on the scheme in the UK.

Tell that to the Bus Fuhrers in Cork.

Something I'm checking out at the moment are called microgrids which will allow for sections of the grid to operate independently from the rest of the grid in times of grid instability. The idea is also that local generation could be used with battery storage to provide power and also these "islands" of power could then provide energy to the rest of the grid. There was actually mention of them being brought in in some county on an experimental basis. Plenty of research going on on them. Check out the microgrids and "more microgrids" projects maybe. There is then some papers where it has been shown that adding communication between these will improve performance.

On the smart side of it they are going to upgrade the grid, as far as I know hooking up meters etc to the internet to allow smarter monitoring of electricity usage so that production of electricity can be optimised and that.

It should be noted that the ESB have announced that they're going to create 750 jobs in upgrading the grid and one area in particular is smart grids so I would presume that there has been something passed. Best bet is get onto the ESB themselves really.

Something I'm checking out at the moment are called microgrids which will allow for sections of the grid to operate independently from the rest of the grid in times of grid instability. The idea is also that local generation could be used with battery storage to provide power and also these "islands" of power could then provide energy to the rest of the grid. There was actually mention of them being brought in in some county on an experimental basis. Plenty of research going on on them. Check out the microgrids and "more microgrids" projects maybe. There is then some papers where it has been shown that adding communication between these will improve performance.

On the smart side of it they are going to upgrade the grid, as far as I know hooking up meters etc to the internet to allow smarter monitoring of electricity usage so that production of electricity can be optimised and that.

It should be noted that the ESB have announced that they're going to create 750 jobs in upgrading the grid and one area in particular is smart grids so I would presume that there has been something passed. Best bet is get onto the ESB themselves really.

I understood that the microgrid stuff was more of a developing country sort of thing.

So they're going to do it, the question is how?

I'm particularly interested to see if it's going to tie in with home applicances and have dynamic pricing and not just better grid monitoring. IMO, that's the way to go, but I fear it's not how the utilities are going to look at it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cornelius Patrick O' Sullivan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

17th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Please! Club Night

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼