Shane magowan rip

Only a stone cold cynic would fail to be moved by the rendition of Fairytale by the surviving members of the Pogues with Hansard taking Shane's part. I'm not a fan of the guy but he was the right man for that moment.

It was the unedited version that they sung. Take that Eoghan McLove.

Fairytale is cringe inducing, Rainy night is sentimental shite but I like his renditions of raucous Irish trad
i agree with this! probably one for the unpopular opinion thread. bar four or five tracks the pogues didn’t do it for me.

rainy night in soho is just the same melody repeated over and over. boring enough.

a pair of brown eyes is decent. dirty old town wasn’t even theirs but it’s the best version. irish rover. enough said.

as for shane, i hope he gets to where he wants to go.

i agree with this! probably one for the unpopular opinion thread. bar four or five tracks the pogues didn’t do it for me.

rainy night in soho is just the same melody repeated over and over. boring enough.

a pair of brown eyes is decent. dirty old town wasn’t even theirs but it’s the best version. irish rover. enough said.

as for shane, i hope he gets to where he wants to go.

Tbf through its arrangement and composition Fairytale is a great song. They were about 2 years putting it together. People are associating their dislike for its overplay with it somehow being a 'bad' song.

Its not.

As for accusing Rainy night in Soho for having a samey melody, you may as well have a cut off Love me do.

The Pogues produced one classic album imo (Rum, Sodomy and the Lash) and some brilliant songs from the other albums.

I never saw them live but one of the 2 times I saw Shane live he was electric.

There's a lot of shite written everytime an Irish artist dies, Shane was 2nd Gen but he was a great. Far more deserving of plaudits than some pub act like Dignam or some one hit wonder cover like Sinead.

His health was obvs in shit for the last decade of his life but he wouldnt be alone in that regard for artists with serious substance issues.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Brewhouse Jazz

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼