Scottish Independence?

How would you vote in the Scottish Referendum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. I'm sure Scotland would be just fine as an independent country and with its own culture, legal, health, education and government system already, it's a lot of the way there already

But getting from here to there would be an unmitigated disaster. That is now doubly true in the wake of Brexit. The fallout would be messy as fuck, throwing up the status of Northern Ireland and Wales.

The latter would be a horrible mess to disentangle from England, as really, Wales is govermentally ally an appendage of England.

And what would it change?
Not a great deal IMO.

So if divorce was easy, I could get behind Scotland leaving the UK, the benefits from a potentially catastrophic separation process just are not there in my mind. It works OK, leave it alone, we have bigger things to worry about.

Basically, for the same reason that brexit is a bit of a shit idea then, you believe Scottish independence to be the same?

No. I'm sure Scotland would be just fine as an independent country and with its own culture, legal, health, education and government system already, it's a lot of the way there already

But getting from here to there would be an unmitigated disaster. That is now doubly true in the wake of Brexit. The fallout would be messy as fuck, throwing up the status of Northern Ireland and Wales.

The latter would be a horrible mess to disentangle from England, as really, Wales is govermentally ally an appendage of England.

And what would it change?
Not a great deal IMO.

So if divorce was easy, I could get behind Scotland leaving the UK, the benefits from a potentially catastrophic separation process just are not there in my mind. It works OK, leave it alone, we have bigger things to worry about.
By that logic one can only assume you think Ireland should have stayed in the UK.

By that logic one can only assume you think Ireland should have stayed in the UK.

It pretty much failed until around 1960 and just hung on as there was a daft economic war with our main trading partner (The UK) which led to mass emigration and only more enlightened modernising economic policies and opening up the economy brought about huge inward investment as well as joining the EU in 1973 (average income was half the EU average back then now it is above the average) as well as inward backward policies and domination by the catholic church, corruption, armed conflict in the North etc.

I think Ireland could have done a better job separating from the UK, the utterly utterly pointless trade war was idiotic, but hey, divorces get stupid. Same with the border commission.

But there's a huge difference between the two situations. Scotland hasn't exactly been treated like a colony over the past few decades.

Basically, for the same reason that brexit is a bit of a shit idea then, you believe Scottish independence to be the same?

Basically, yes.

With one key difference, I think the UK is better in than out. I think Scotland would probably be better off out of the UK, but that depends very heavily on how the exit is handled

The Political systems of the West have been captured by the Banking system a long time ago. Govt tax the citizens to finance the State, but a large portion of the taxes are spent on Bond interest repayments which enrich the Financiers.
Bond issue is unneccessary if a Govt issues its own money to invest in its economic growth.
As stated earlier, Financiers invest in Govt Bonds, because they are a safe haven in times of Stock market turmoil. as a Govt cannot run out of money in its own Sovereign currency.
'Control oil supply and you control a Nation, control food and you control the people, control money and you control the World'. (Henry Kissinger/ David Rockfeller)

You keep missing the point. What you suggest depends on having politicians in power making economic decisions and as we see in all democracies when you put politicians into power they vote according to what the constituencies want not the National interest none of them factor into consideration currency valuation and how to prepare countries for grim times that is why every time a recession or depression occurs our TD's are headless chickens on the road way looking at David McWilliams for advise.:p

You keep missing the point. What you suggest depends on having politicians in power making economic decisions and as we see in all democracies when you put politicians into power they vote according to their interests not the National interest none of them factor into consideration currency valuation and how to prepare countries for grim times that is why every time a recession or depression occurs our TD's are headless chickens on the road way looking at David McWilliams for advise.:p

Fixed your post for you.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Fixed your post for you.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

So according to you clientist politics is good. We have a Senate which is elected by the University Grads while the Dáil is made up of people that would have a school or a hospital in every one of their constituencies given the chance. We get protesters calling for gvt not to implement laws and the gvt relents. Nobody wants the gvt to cut services in their area preferring some other poor unfortunate county to fall under the butcher's knife.

So according to you clientist politics is good. We have a Senate which is elected by the University Grads while the Dáil is made up of people that would have a school or a hospital in every one of their constituencies given the chance. We get protesters calling for gvt not to implement laws and the gvt relents. Nobody wants the gvt to cut services in their area preferring some other poor unfortunate county to fall under the butcher's knife.

Nope, that's not what I said at all.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Gerald Ahern

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼