Scottish Independence?

How would you vote in the Scottish Referendum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought you might say that.

Personally I reckon, there are the Irish people at home and abroad and across the island to create a vibrant, successful and structurally sound Ireland for generations to come in whatever guise that needs to take.

I'd include, not joking, people like yourself, rebelice, frankee, strict, who clearly have the ideas and the knowledge to make a difference. We have the industries, not manufacturing I grant you, but still we have environment, software, med devices, pharma, biopharma, tourism, food, film, web-based services and companies, consultancies to do it. We have the potential of our own North Sea or bigger off our west coast to make us an energy provider to the rest of Europe through the interconnectors.

All we need is a government, even a technocracy, to have the vision to propose it to the nation, get agreement from the nation and go off and do it.

Our economical situation is a disaster. We have 2 million people working and half a mill not. Other than the odd IDA skillsnet program we have had no audit of the skills, experience or expertise available in the country. We know we have construction skill, we know we have telecomms skill so why shouldn't option 1 be put thse people to work upgrading our roads, rail, airports, broadband network, building pipelines etc.

Where is the money going to come from? By cutting off the gravy train to the public sector, insisting on real efficiencies and service levels from PS employees and by telling our subordinate bondholders to take a haircut or a restructuring.

We are going to have a referendum put to us on fiscal integration soon. I know you want it passed. I would say this is our time to say fine we will pass it with a serious level of write-down or ocean re-financing to allow us to do all of the above.

I believe the Irish people are entrepeneurial enough and hard-working enough to ge this done. Whether on the wum or not, you don't. That is the difference. That is the apathy. That is the paralysing, all encompassing attitude in Merrion Square among a bunch of people who by and large have never had to do a hard days work in their lives.

I love the closet unionists rushing to damn Irish people's management of the country in the last 90 years. I would have thought that they were a bit better than the preceding 90, no? Wouldn't it be great to be run by England again cause they have no problems, never had a recession and never had the IMF in.

We are more than an economy and believe it or not so is Scotland. Keep fumbling in your greasy tills though.

Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike refer

A deal setting out terms for a Scottish independence referendum has been signed by Prime Minister David Cameron and First Minister Alex Salmond.
The agreement, struck in Edinburgh, has paved the way for a vote in autumn 2014, with a single Yes/No question on Scotland leaving the UK.
It will also allow 16 and 17-year-olds to take part in the ballot.
The SNP secured a mandate to hold the referendum after its landslide Scottish election win last year.
The UK government, which has responsibility over constitutional issues, will grant limited powers to the Scottish Parliament to hold a legal referendum, under a mechanism called Section 30.

David Cameron says the agreement includes "one simple, straightforward question"

The deal will also commit both governments to working together constructively in the best interests of the people of Scotland, whatever the outcome of the referendum.
Mr Salmond said the agreement would mean a referendum "made in Scotland", while the prime minister said keeping the United Kingdom together was his number one priority.
The deal will provide for:

• A statutory order to be legislated at Westminster, granting Holyrood powers to hold a single-question independence referendum by the end of 2014 and covering other issues like campaign broadcasts.

• A "memorandum of agreement" to be signed by political leaders confirming the details of the referendum will be settled at Holyrood.

• A significant role for the Electoral Commission watchdog in advising on the wording of the question, the running of the referendum and areas including campaign finance.
A possible second question on greater powers has been dropped.
Speaking after the deal was signed at the headquarters of the Scottish government, St Andrew's House, the prime minister told BBC News: "This is the right decision for Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-19942638

Don't know what to make of allowing 16 year olds to vote, do they really have maturity to make an informed decision or will they just jump on the nearest bandwagon?

When the Tory scaremongering starts anyway.

It will be very tight alright, but the simple yes/no question format will favour Westminster more, rather than the yes/no/maybe Hammond was pushing for.

A recent poll had something like 60% pro UK. They were saying it was part down to success in Olympics. The Scots are all talk with their 'I'm Scottish, not British' but when it comes down to it I think Cameron and co will do a better job at selling the pros of the Union than Salmond will do selling the pros of Independence. It will basically come down to money. Even with their oil and gas in the north it will still cost them more in the long run to go it alone. How much, for example, would it cost to set up and run a military?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Brightsides

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼