Save Marina Park !

A group has been set up to campaign for the retention of the planned Public Park down in the Marina on the land formerly used by the Munster Agricultural Society.

This land was compulsorily purchased by Cork City Council (for over €11m) in order to provide a public park for local residents and the future Docklands residents.

However the City Council now proposes to hand over a large portion (6 acres) of this land to the GAA for €1.6m for a private sporting facility which will not be open to local residents. Along with its associated car parking this facility will totally destroy the planned park. Over 120 submissions were lodged against the proposed zoning variation which is needed to facilitate this move.

Further information is available at www.savemarinapark.com ,
Twitter: @savemarinapark #savemarinapark
Facebook: Save Marina Park

I support the GAA and the council on this one.

Badly needed amenity.

1 acre is more than enough for a public park.

It'll be along time imo before there are any new residents in the Docklands. Can the council afford to develop this area as a park , cash strapped as they are.

GAA have plenty of facilities from what i can see- seems like a cheap vote getter at the expense of making Cork a better city

GAA have plenty of facilities from what i can see- seems like a cheap vote getter at the expense of making Cork a better city

They need a modern stadium of 40,000 plus as well as a nearby training centre. Thousands of clubs provide their own facilities ( on a smaller scale ) up and down the country, mostly without much if any state assistance. The land now being acquired has been used for the Cork summer show and little else for over a hundred years. So, there's no loss of current public facilities, just a change of plan in proposals for the future. The holding of a major championship game in the Park generates huge revenue for the city. What is now being proposed makes a lot of sense to me.

The GAA need more space but I think 1 acre for a park is fairly miserable. The Lough is about 4 acres. That would be about right.

Cork has very little green space compared to other cities.

Bishop Lucey Park is only an acre and its tiny. Merrion Square and Stephen's Green make the peace park look like a parking space. More green space means more kids running around means less fatties means less people with health problems when they get older means less of a burden on the taxpayer means everyone has more money.

Something like that anyway.

This land was CPO'd for €11million for use a public park. The GAA were gifted 2.8acres to facilitate the redevelopment of the stadium. Everybody is in agreement that this is a good move.

The thing is the GAA want another 6acres on top of that for a "Centre of excellence" only to be used privately by the GAA for training (don't forget Páirc Uí Rinn, Blackrock GAA club and Mahon GAA club are just up the road). This will Destroy the Plan for a Public park.

So the GAA want 9acres of public amenity land for there own private use at the low low cost of €1.6million.

If they really need the second pitch. I see no reason they cant buy land (owned by NAMA) on the other side of stadium.

I dont want my tax money spent on some private boys club.

http://www.facebook.com/savemarinapark

This land was CPO'd for €11million for use a public park. The GAA were gifted 2.8acres to facilitate the redevelopment of the stadium. Everybody is in agreement that this is a good move.

The thing is the GAA want another 6acres on top of that for a "Centre of excellence" only to be used privately by the GAA for training (don't forget Páirc Uí Rinn, Blackrock GAA club and Mahon GAA club are just up the road). This will Destroy the Plan for a Public park.

So the GAA want 9acres of public amenity land for there own private use at the low low cost of €1.6million.

If they really need the second pitch. I see no reason they cant buy land (owned by NAMA) on the other side of stadium.

I dont want my tax money spent on some private boys club.

http://www.facebook.com/savemarinapark

Thomond Park, Landsdowne Rd., Croke Park and loads of other stadia were built and financed the same way.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼